[Suggestion] *spoilers* Boss movement

General discussion about the game.
DocGratis

[Suggestion] *spoilers* Boss movement

Postby DocGratis » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:00 pm

In my latest attempt to defeat the boss ship. I had the misfortune of losing the game.
I had beaten the first two stages, and my ship needed repair to do the final stage...

But in both of the defeats, when the boss ship was defeated it jump closer to our headquaters.

Could it be possible to to force the boss backward? I'm sure it is just random, and so having to jumps forward was just bad luck. But having the boss jump forward ment that I was suddenly trying to race to a repair station and then get back to the boss... (which I lost because he just kept jumping toward the base...)
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
Meeker

Re: [Suggestion] *spoilers* Boss movement

Postby Meeker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:56 am

I had that happen and despite racing towards the boss, he went straight to the base =(

Needless to say, that was a cruddy loss
Gomisan

Postby Gomisan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

My understanding is it's a race to kill him before he gets to the base. So the boss will always move towards the base, but he only jumps every 2 turns.

I have had it glitch and found him skip beacons, but that was on a save/reload.

It might be a nice 'feature' if when defeated he(it) did jump one step backward. It might give you just that extra turn needed to repair.
timaeus

Postby timaeus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Well, the problem is that even though he normally only jumps every 2 turns, he'll do a full jump whenever he's defeated. So by 'winning' each phase against the boss, you're doubling his move speed.
razenclaf

Postby razenclaf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I actually thought this was a glitch the first time it happened to me. I was thinking about posting a suggestion about it.

Twice now I've gotten to the final sector damaged and had to seek out a repair node. Both times these nodes were very far away and due to bad luck with the danger zones (the red circles) I had to take a longer way. But I made it and caught up to the boss when he was two nodes away from the base.

Both times I defeated his first form and he jumped closer, and I pursued immediately. This is fine for me, but when I defeated his second node the boss jumps away and I'm immediately faced with the game over screen as the boss made it. I've never even seen the third phase :(

As far as I know once you kill one phase of the boss he is damaged, and must make an emergency jump to fix himself up before he faces you again. So in my mind if the boss was hurt and jumped after phase 2 directly into the heart of the federation fleet that he would be destroyed.

I know he's got other ships with him, but the reason he jumps away from us (with all those other ships) is because they don't want to lose their flagship.

Anyway, I think that if the boss is right next to the fleet and you destroy him in phase 1 or 2 then he should go backwards. This may still not give you enough time to repair and get back to face phase 3 but at least you'll get a chance if you want to attack him right away.

Just my thoughts. Think a suggestion would be good?