Easy vs Normal Difficulty?

General discussion about the game.
joshuabees

Easy vs Normal Difficulty?

Postby joshuabees » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I've been playing quite a bit on Easy difficulty for a while, and just recently beat the boss ship (all three times). I decided to step up to the regular or normal, and I have to say that my verdict so far is - it's not really fun.

Admittedly, I'm not a great player. As I mentioned above, I *have* completed the boss battle, so I at least understand the basic mechanics behind the game. However, I find my most enjoyable moments are when you have the tactical flexibility provided by finding or purchasing cool tech. Dynamically allocating power between systems in the middle of a battle, deciding if you need just a short Stealth hop to dodge missiles while trying to heal your boarding crew and teleport them back to the other ship - that's what's made this game so fun.

All of which requires pretty hefty amounts of scrap, which the Normal setting seems overly stingy with. To the point that it's not fun.

This is all my opinion, of course, but I honestly haven't enjoyed hoarding scrap for a few sectors only to meet one enemy with the magic can-opener mix of equipment who destroys me.

Anyone feel similar or have any strategy to overcome this?
Asraniel

Re: Easy vs Normal Difficulty?

Postby Asraniel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm

I only play on normal (until now), and i can only pay for repairs + fuel. if i have any scrap left i usally use it to get an additional crew member (they die so often trough random events).
Wintersong

Postby Wintersong » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Having more toys to play with can be certainly more fun to a point. Normal's fun is more about beating the odds and manage to get a kick ass ship despite the scrap limits. I haven't been able to reach the last sector in Normal yet but I find it equally fun. Meanwhile in Easy, lately I reach the last sector* so well prepared that I have almost everything to max and wishing I had some crew members of that race that provides energy to the systems. :lol:

Both modes play the same except for enemy generation and lower scrap. You play the same but must be more picky about when to save scrap, when to spend it, in what to spend (may need some luck with Store though)... And knowing that reaching the boss in Normal is a feat by itself.

* except playing the stealth ship. I don't go far with that even on Easy.
ColOfNature

Postby ColOfNature » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm

I have more fun on Easy too. Normal difficulty can be a little too unforgiving, and restarting a dozen times to get past the first few combats in a strong position gets tedious.

I'm not advocating making Normal any easier - it wouldn't be a rogue-like if it wasn't infuriating - but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who prefers Easy!
...common and uninteresting.
Surfpup

Postby Surfpup » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Wintersong wrote:* except playing the stealth ship. I don't go far with that even on Easy.

For me, the stealth ship is much easier to win with than any other ship; even more so in Easy mode. I just made my first win in Normal today, using the stealth ship. Being able to go cloak to charge weapons and fire at the enemy first makes a huge difference.

I also agree that once you've gotten really good at it, Easy mode does start to feel a bit too easy. However, it is a great way to get into the game and learn strategies without getting too frustrated.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 pm

I've only ever played on Normal. It's a Rougelike, an easy mode just doesn't make sense to me. I can understand why someone might need it, buy I personally think that the boss or the game's ending should be unreachable on Easy or at least there should be a special reward for completing the game on harder levels.
Trigger2991

Postby Trigger2991 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 am

I agree that I think Normal difficulty is far too stingy on the scrap. I have so far only played on Normal and whilst it was interesting exploring a new game, I found it very underwhelming in that I just couldn't do much more than buy fuel and very very slowly upgrade my shields and weapons and then not have enough to buy more power for my reactor.

Perhaps it is my perception of what 'Normal' and 'Easy' mean, but for me, a seasoned gamer, the Easy option is generally for people who don't normally play games and need the boost up and assistance to get some enjoyment out of the game. Normal is what most gamers will choose. And at the moment I think Normal makes the game quite un-fun and not very replay-able (I died so many times by going up against an overpowered enemy early on who take out your O2 and engines and then just pummel you before being able to upgrade very much at all).

After reading this thread I will now go back and play through on Easy and enjoy more scrap to upgrade with, however perhaps the naming of 'Easy' vs 'Normal' needs rethinking, something like 'Normal' vs 'Hardcore' or the like.
For everyone who is going to tell me that it is a rogue-like and therefore should be expected to be hard, you would naturally choose the Hardcore option if there was one wouldn't you? You prefer the challenge of limited supplies and extreme management of resources to scrape through to the end. I think 'Easy' is probably not the best choice to name that game mode as you may loose people early on as you almost did me.
joshuabees

Postby joshuabees » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:28 am

Most of the games I've played today were on Normal mode, after creating this thread this morning. Honestly, I agree with most of what you said, Trigger. "Normal" seems like it should be "Hardcore" mode or something. Not that the devs need to change it, but it's really just not fun. Even when I thought I had a good run going (after 3-4 games getting crushed early), one encounter in a slug nebula just took my ship apart because I was behind the curve equipment-wise.

There just aren't enough credits to take cover the different ways you can get fucked, especially with the total randomness in store inventories. It's really frustrating when you're trying to run a smart game but can't get ONE missile weapon, only to get taken apart by enemy ships with better weapons, shields, engines, and tech while my ship can't even hit consistently.

To each their own, of course. "Normal" is just too frustrating to me. At least when I get my ass kicked playing The Binding of Isaac I know it was poor play or a lucky shot, not overpowered enemy spawn.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:40 am

Normal is quite the challenge when compared to Easy. For me, dying is just a part of the game and there are quite a number of really tough scenarios that the game can throw at you that can make it quite difficult to pull out a victory. Playing as the Stealth Ship, in Sector 1 I ran into three consecutive asteroid fields!!! I was able to pull through with under 25% hull remaining, but was able to get through to the Slug Home Nebula fields (before I royally screwed up by trying to get to a quest point behind rebel lines. BLARGH!).

Normal, to me, is lots of fun. You really need to evaluate all the freebies you get from flying around and determine the opportunity costs of spending your scrap. Decisions are what make this game fun!

I expect to die frequently, as that is the roguelike nature of this game!
irongamer

Postby irongamer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:53 am

I've only played on Normal so far. I've beat the last boss with the Torus. It often seems that if you have a good first sector you will most likely have a good ride to the boss. There are times where you will hit a bunch of nodes that have nothing and this can hurt you on your way to the boss.

Once I unlocked the Federation Cruiser I hopped right into a new normal game with the new ship and on my first try with that ship got to the boss and beat him. Again, though, the first sector had amazing scrap scrap and I came out of it with 2 shields and enough power to run them and all the default guns on the ship.

I tend to take every opportunity to get scrap through battle unless my ship is less than 50%.

I can't speak for easy though. On normal the key to success in my game is almost based on the first sector and maybe the second sector.