Suggestion: Event disabled systems should be time based

General discussion about the game.
Jason

Suggestion: Event disabled systems should be time based

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Just had an amazing run tons of equipment and weapons lots of shields lots of crew full health everything was going great then I went to a slug controlled nebula system, the event killed my medibay and a bunch of slugs teleported aboard as most of my crew was engie they went down hard also there ship was also very well equipped. What was odd was that this event also seams to slow my engines right down to a crawl and I had a full green bar helmsmen and someone on engines plus three bars in the engine and a second bar on control wonder if this was a bug.

Anyhow the problem is that without my medibay it was impossible to fight back against the slugs and fight that ship as well.

I have nothing against a hard fight there quite fun but what I don't like are "rocks fall everyone dies" events or as close as you can get to them, disabling the medi bay then sticking hard boarders on a ship is pretty much an instant kill if you playing engi, the same with lots of other events.

What I suggest is that the when an event disables a subsystem by an action rather than an outside event like a nebula cutting half your power off then I suggest instead of knocking it out for that battle have a timer till you get it back up and running. Say 60 secs that's very long in battle time but not to long as to be useless to you if you can survive that long the system comes back online.

Anyone else come across events that practically instant kill you? Its useful to have a list as like i said hard fights are one thing but no one likes impossible instant death events i.e. "rocks fall everyone dies"
Nox

Re: Suggestion: Event disabled systems should be time based

Postby Nox » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Well, I dislike things that are too contrived. Disabling the medbay seems like game design spite.

Design spite comes in when a designer sees a player doing something they didn't intend, so they specifically target that behaviour.

I think it's better to create AI which operates using the same rules as the player, and then gently discourage rather than "rocks fall".

if you really want the slugs to board and the medbay to be disabled, then make their ship target the player's med bay. That gives the player a way to cope with the situation rather than it being an arbitrary contrivance.
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
Jason

Re: Suggestion: Event disabled systems should be time based

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Its an in game event, the event was that the slugs sent a message saying to bad about your medbay or something to that effect then beamed aboard and started attacking with there ship.

It would have been ok if the med bay was taken offline for say 60 seconds, it can be disabled usually by ion weapons for a period of time so having the same effect as an ion weapon but increase the time to 60 secs is doable.