Run Fails

General discussion about the game.
Ranpu

Run Fails

Postby Ranpu » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Make me feel better, i want to hear your worst run in beta, i'll start with my humiliating defeat:

Started a new game, chose the federation ship. I jumped to the nearest star, nothing there. See a distress signal on the next nearest, jump to it. Wants me to go check on an outpost, outpost is right next to the distress. Jump to outpost, send an away team, team of scientist attack causing the immediate loss of one of my crew while dragging him back to the ship. Four scientist attack the ship, with two crew members left, i do my best to fight and pull back to heal then jump them again. They ended up attacking the medic bay first, defend the medic bay to the dying breath, loss last two crew members.

4 Jumps, 0 Ship battles, lost in less than 5 minutes.
Gorlom

Re: Run Fails

Postby Gorlom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Heh. I've been uncommonly unlucky. I forgot which ship it was, I think it was with the stealth ship, or possibly federation cruiser. It wasn't the engi ship at least. First jump I come across an automated drone with 3 weapons and shield (was it double shield even?). his first hit took out my weapons room. After that I didn't managed to get through his shield before my ship broke apart.

I didn't know they could spawn that strong that early.
WordMercenary

Postby WordMercenary » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Cloaked ship, hit an asteroid field in my first couple of jumps.

We all know how that goes.
Nori

Postby Nori » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 pm

WordMercenary wrote:Cloaked ship, hit an asteroid field in my first couple of jumps.

They aren't that bad, just keep power to the engines and jump out of there ASAP (while keeping your crew at your engines for repair).
fallout

Postby fallout » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:50 pm

In the tutorial, I clicked the "Open All Doors" button (this was when it still opened all of the doors on the first click). Didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. Crew died and I got a message saying that I wasn't supposed to be able to lose in the tutorial.

Most of my actually bad runs are when I'm just trying stuff out for the first time (e.g., teleporters) or when I'm trying a new strategy that's doomed to fail. That said, I've had shitty runs where I've made some pretty critical mistakes, like neglecting to use my cloak or not upgrading a particular system.
Nox

Postby Nox » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:41 pm

halfway through the game and I am doing fantastic. plenty of scrap and ammo.

My worst was having my whole crew die of suffocation because I opened all my doors and the enemy boarders destroyed the door controls and my 02. my engines were already out.
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
GoodRevrnd

Postby GoodRevrnd » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:47 pm

WordMercenary wrote:Cloaked ship, hit an asteroid field in my first couple of jumps.

This. Except it was my first time w/ the cloaked ship and the asteroid field had a drone w/ an ion cannon and a beam. -_- 3 Jumps?
DeltaOmega

Postby DeltaOmega » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 am

5 asteroid fields in a row as a stealth ship, over 200 spare scrap on death because you can't spend in dangerous areas.
temporal

Postby temporal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Losing my crack boarding team because I got some lucky shots through and their sabotage destroyed the last hull point milliseconds before I thought to pull them back or move them.

Mistakenly attempting to asphyxiate a boarding robot who was sabotaging my O2 with disastrous results (lol).

Rerouting power from O2 until down to 30% atmo only to unexpectedly have my O2 get ion'd into oblivion. My crew members stood in the O2 room staring at the malfunctioning module but were completely helpless to do anything about their impending doom!

Numerous fails from trotting a Zoltan crew member all over my ship while rerouting power.

Fail that I am waiting for:
Attempt to rescue the madman from the planet with only 1 crew member and get him killed. Anyone know if this is even possible?
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 pm

temporal wrote:Losing my crack boarding team because I got some lucky shots through and their sabotage destroyed the last hull point milliseconds before I thought to pull them back or move them.

Funny thing. I did that three times in a row in one run. Ironically that is also the run where I killed the boss ship (2 of the times were against the boss in fact) ... I'm stil a bit fuzzy on how I actually won.

This was on easy ofc, with the engi ship Tourus.