Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

General discussion about the game.
shepdozejr

Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

Postby shepdozejr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

The justification for your weapons not being charged after a jump is because of the power required for the jump. Yet when I start an encounter with a cloaked enemy, whom is apparently picked up on my scanners because the game goes HEY DUDE YOU'RE IN COMBAT, my weapons don't charge.

What gives?
Ibasa

Re: Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

Postby Ibasa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:31 am

I think the reasoning is that the charging is not just energy charging but also targeting (which obviously can't be done if the enemy is cloaked).
Would be interesting if the weapons could half charge even if the enemy was cloaked (and if the preignitor only gave a half charge not a full charge as well maybe?).
Nox

Postby Nox » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:34 am

the enemy's weapons don't charge when you are cloaked either.

also, you can find a module that will cause you to warp in with weapons hot. Very, very effective with the right weapons.
--

No good deed goes unpunished.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Nox wrote:the enemy's weapons don't charge when you are cloaked either.

also, you can find a module that will cause you to warp in with weapons hot. Very, very effective with the right weapons.

I don't play with cloak alot, but I think this is wrong.. I think a cloaked ships weapons DO charge...

I know it sounds backwards, but if they didn't why would you really want to cloak?
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
Tuuvan

Postby Tuuvan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:07 pm

What Nox meant was that, while you are cloaked, the enemy's weapons don't charge while your's do, thus delaying their attack even further.

To use a board game analogy, when you cloak, the enemy loses a turn (and visa versa).
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Tuuvan wrote:What Nox meant was that, while you are cloaked, the enemy's weapons don't charge while your's do, thus delaying their attack even further.

To use a board game analogy, when you cloak, the enemy loses a turn (and visa versa).

You are right I miss read that.. I guess it was more a response to OP.. :D

shepdozejr

Postby shepdozejr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:30 pm

The module that makes them charged after a jump renders the 'it's for targeting' reason null.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:45 pm

shepdozejr wrote:The module that makes them charged after a jump renders the 'it's for targeting' reason null.

The issue is that if you didn't prohibit weapon charging cloak doesn't make any sense.. It is not like you couldn't fire the instant they decloak... and then what did they gain by cloaking.

The prefire thing only helps if they start cloaked (which they usually do).

If you want an explanation "the cloaks xeno field disrupts the quantum charge state that is required to charge the neodinium weapon capacitors. Knowing the exact frequency and modulation of the xeno field allows a ships own weapons to counteract the field and charge."

"Additionally, a further tech advancement allows the capacitor discharge to not disrupt the xeno field, allowing for weapons to be fired while the cloaks xeno field is still operational"
(the tech that allows weapons to be fired while cloaked)

And while I am at it. "Normal operation of the FTL jump drive disrupts the charge of the neodinium weapon capacitors, however rare FTL field stabilizers can be acquired and fitted onto weapon capacitors allowing them to retain their charge in FTL operations"
(prefire chamber tech)

temporal

Postby temporal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:03 pm

The issue is that if you didn't prohibit weapon charging cloak doesn't make any sense.. It is not like you couldn't fire the instant they decloak... and then what did they gain by cloaking.

They dodged a wave of your weapons and bought time to repair. Possibly even continued firing their own weapons, if not they got a free charge on those as well.

Not saying this is significant enough. The inability to charge doesn't make sense to me but it definitely is what makes cloak viable.

Why not just make cloak grant a 90% chance to dodge or something and allow the enemy to keep firing?
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm

temporal wrote:

They dodged a wave of your weapons and bought time to repair. Possibly even continued firing their own weapons, if not they got a free charge on those as well.

Not saying this is significant enough. The inability to charge doesn't make sense to me but it definitely is what makes cloak viable.

Why not just make cloak grant a 90% chance to dodge or something and allow the enemy to keep firing?

If you could charge your weapons while the enemy was cloaked, you could just hold them until the cloak dropped. Why would you fire at a 90% chance to miss?

I don't see how allowing weapons to charge while the enemy is cloaked could be allowed.. an certainly it would ruin it for the players who use cloak.. why bother?