Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

General discussion about the game.
shepdozejr

Re: Charging weapons while enemy is cloaked

Postby shepdozejr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:26 pm

It would make using cloak an active skill. You have to time your cloak for use in order to give 100% dodge chance to incoming fire and to buy time to repair. In its current state it's not only defensive, it's aggressive as well since the cloaked ships weapons still charge.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

shepdozejr wrote:It would make using cloak an active skill. You have to time your cloak for use in order to give 100% dodge chance to incoming fire and to buy time to repair. In its current state it's not only defensive, it's aggressive as well since the cloaked ships weapons still charge.

That wouldn't be defensive, it would be nearly useless. Ship A has cloak. It cloaks. It can repair and charge weapons.
Ship B fighting it does not. Ship A cloaks. Ship B can repair and charge weapons. Ship A is allocating energy to allow both ships to have a pause to charge weapons and repair.

If ship B is stupid enough to fire while A has 100% (or someone else said 90%) dodge, then ship A gains something from cloaking, but No human would do that and only the worst AI would.

I don't understand people's problem with cloaked ships. Yes they are harder to fight than some other ships. But then so are ships with good missiles if you are a shield heavy ship. (vs engines for dodge). Drone ships are a pain for people who run boarding parties...
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
Solarius

Postby Solarius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:29 pm

The easiest way to understand the weapons charging is by thinking of it as the time it's taking to acquire a firing solution on the enemy ship. Power comes into play when you actually allocate the power to turn the weapon on.

That's why when a ship cloaks the timer stops because you are no longer able to attain an accurate firing solution until the ship decloaks. Granted this brings up questions as to why the timer doesn't actually reset because if two ships are flying threw space how can you "resume" an accurate firing solution so fast, but to make an accurate and fair system is a challenge when all factors are being considered but I know the developers will make the best choice they can.
shepdozejr

Postby shepdozejr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 pm

If the randomness was a bit more balanced, then this really wouldn't be too big of a problem.

The problem with cloak is that 9/10 what ends my game is some cloaking drone ship in an asteroid field with 3-4 layers of shields and 3 missile launchers and a pulse laser.

If that badass Chuck Norris ship didn't have cloak it really wouldn't be such a big deal and I might actually stand a chance.
fallout

Postby fallout » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 pm

shepdozejr wrote:The problem with cloak is that 9/10 what ends my game is some cloaking drone ship in an asteroid field with 3-4 layers of shields and 3 missile launchers and a pulse laser.
This is when I usually put more power to engines and try to jump out.
shepdozejr

Postby shepdozejr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 pm

fallout wrote:
shepdozejr wrote:The problem with cloak is that 9/10 what ends my game is some cloaking drone ship in an asteroid field with 3-4 layers of shields and 3 missile launchers and a pulse laser.

Too bad, you just got hit with all the missiles. You now have no shield, no engines, no weapons, and no way to fight back since the bastard is cloaked. Good luck.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm

shepdozejr wrote:
fallout wrote:

Too bad, you just got hit with all the missiles. You now have no shield, no engines, no weapons, and no way to fight back since the bastard is cloaked. Good luck.

Good news is he is cloaked and so isn't shooting.. so now is your chance to pull people to repair..

Actual question besides this QQ ing

Do cloaked ships get hit by asteroids.. because the obviously should...

fallout

Postby fallout » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

shepdozejr wrote:Too bad, you just got hit with all the missiles. You now have no shield, no engines, no weapons, and no way to fight back since the bastard is cloaked. Good luck.
Well shit, if the situation is that dire, him having cloak isn't going to make much of a difference. Sometimes the game will fuck you over, but that's part of the risk/reward thing, too. I'm just suggesting that if you run into a situation like that, immediately try and get your engines up so that you can jump out.

DocGratis wrote:Do cloaked ships get hit by asteroids.. because the obviously should...
I think I noticed that they weren't? I could be wrong about that, because as you say, it would "make sense" that cloak would not protect you from asteroids.

I was in a fight where I was cloaked and all I did was ion bomb the guy's shields and watch him get pelted by asteroids while I stayed cloaked for most of it. I don't recall ever seeing my shields being hit, but maybe I just got lucky.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm

fallout wrote:Well shit, if the situation is that dire, him having cloak isn't going to make much of a difference. Sometimes the game will fuck you over, but that's part of the risk/reward thing, too.

Seriously! I have had games where one branch of a series of jumps is a dead end, even tho it looks like it will make it to the next star.. and the only way out is way inside of rebel controlled space.. sometimes you are just screwed.. :twisted:

temporal

Postby temporal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Do cloaked ships get hit by asteroids.. because the obviously should...

Someone should submit this as a bug... I am pretty sure they don't.