[Suggestion] overloading modules

General discussion about the game.
temporal

[Suggestion] overloading modules

Postby temporal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Like some of the posters here I'm a veteran of EVE Online.

There is a great little mechanic in that game that allows you to overload your modules to get a bonus to their effectiveness at the cost of accumulating heat damage. If left unchecked this heat damage can burn out the module and even damage nearby modules.

This could be implemented similar to the sabotage damage from boarders:

Upon clicking an overload button next the module's icon, it increases its effectiveness by some module-specific amount. Weapons and shields would recharge faster, engines and cockpit grant extra dodge/faster FTL charge, medbay heals more, O2 pump has greater output, etc.

The module accumulates heat damage which shows up as a red bar over its power bars on the HUD, the same as sabotage. After a bar is filled that bar is marked damaged/offlined and maybe there is a chance that it starts a fire.

Overloading can be toggled off at any time but the heat damage remains until it is repaired. Another possibility is to have it not be repairable, heat damage has to dissipate over time.

Maybe also make it impossible to repair a module while it is being overloaded.

If this is a bit too powerful it could always be added as an upgrade instead.
Sacred

Re: [Suggestion] overloading modules

Postby Sacred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 pm

And then you could have an ion cannon that sends straight energy and overloads random systems, I think it'd be pretty cool
You can knock yourself out for all I care
temporal

Postby temporal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Sacred wrote:And then you could have an ion cannon that sends straight energy and overloads random systems, I think it'd be pretty cool

Absolutely.

I think that heat as a mechanic would add a neat new problem for the player to manage as well as opening up possibilities for new weapon classes.
Sacred

Postby Sacred » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 pm

temporal wrote:
Sacred wrote:And then you could have an ion cannon that sends straight energy and overloads random systems, I think it'd be pretty cool

Absolutely.

I think that heat as a mechanic would add a neat new problem for the player to manage as well as opening up possibilities for new weapon classes.

They'll have to add a generator room or something to really make it work well though, so if someone is watching the overloading they can auto cool systems to allow repairs, or that can be a ship add-on if the dev's wanted to make a a ship dedicated to playing that class
You can knock yourself out for all I care
Lambchops

Postby Lambchops » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:21 pm

I like it, though damaging the system whilst providing a bonus is probably enough - causing fires into the bargain is perhaps a little unfair, though it would be cool, maybe the chance should be very small. I definitely prefer the heat dissipation idea rather than having to repair things. I guess the main issue is balancing how big the stat boost is with how quickly the damage occurs/how long it takes to cool down. In summary great idea, but could be tricky to implement fairly or to convey to the player.

To fit with the lore perhaps it could be purchased through an encounter with a Zoltan scientist (which would give an opportunity for it to be explained) somewhere in Engi space. Something like:

"You jump to a Zoltan research station. A Zoltan scientist offers a powerful piece of technology, which can increase the performance of a system. "It's not yet perfected" he tells you as your eyes are drawn to several nasty looking burns.

1) Buy Zoltan System Booster for xx scrap.
2) You decide it's too risky and politely decline his offer.

If 1) The device provides performance bonus to a system but will overheat draining that system's power until the device is turned off and allowed to cool. (If there is chance of causing fire then warn about it here).

If 2) As you prepare to jump away you think you can see a fire breaking out on the research station. Leaving that tech behind was probably for the best."

I guess another issue is how such a device would fit into the UI. Or perhaps it can only be installed onto one system, which may help prevent it from being too overpowered and thus just leaving it requiring an on/off switch on the UI. It opens up for nice tactics like having a sacrificial energy bar on, say, your weapons system that you can keep depleting then allowing to cool to gain a temporary recharging boost.

Apologies if this post is rambling I was writing as I thought rather than planning it!

To conclude, I really like the idea and there's definitely potential but it may just be a little bit too much work!
temporal

Postby temporal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Ha, I like your lore write-up for it. Very funny :lol:

I was also thinking that another way to implement this would be to allow the player to put more power into a system than they have slots. Essentially overpowering the system at the cost of heat damage.

This would keep it from being too powerful since you won't be able to overload very many of your modules unless you have sufficient extra power to do so.