Suggestion: Med Bay capacity/price balancing

General discussion about the game.
kshh

Suggestion: Med Bay capacity/price balancing

Postby kshh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:18 am

Hey guys!

great work on the game. Been playing it alot since beta launched.
A thought on balancing that makes sense to me.. I never upgrade the medbay. The upgrades are pricy and scrap is scarce. The default healing rate is sufficient for any type of combat situation and since there is no time pressure outside of combat there's no way I'm wasting 35 or even 95 scrap to pointlessly speed up healing.

So my suggestion would be to lower the price of the medbay upgrades to 25, 45, lower the speed bonuses slightly to perhaps 2x, 4x, and change the capacity to 1,2,3 simultaneous.
So, overall this would be a nerf to the medbay, but making the upgrade viable when running a boarding build and optional when going weapons or drones. I think every upgrade should have it's uses and currently there are a few, the medbay chief among them, that don't feel quite worth the scrap.

Has anyone else had more positive experiences with the way the medbay currently upgrades?
VladePsyker

Re: Suggestion: Med Bay capacity/price balancing

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Medbay upgrades for boarding actions are very important, esp on the Mantis Crusier

Medbay upgrades on the Taurus with remote heals make a big difference too

price feels about right to me
kshh

Postby kshh » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:51 pm

I've run successful boarding strategies and still never had to upgrade the medbay..
you say it's important, was there a situation where the higher regen saved a crewmember or turned a fight?
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 pm

kshh wrote:I've run successful boarding strategies and still never had to upgrade the medbay..
you say it's important, was there a situation where the higher regen saved a crewmember or turned a fight?

faster med bay let me pull back troops heal and send back over before enemy troops had time to sufficiently heal, reducing overall battle length and reducing time my ship was being shot at, which reduces my repair bill and leaves me with more scrap to upgrade faster.

I should note that faster medbay without upgraded teleport is probably not worth it
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:54 pm

VladePsyker wrote:Medbay upgrades on the Taurus with remote heals make a big difference too

price feels about right to me

Does the medbay healing increase apply to the remote healing on the Torus? I wasn't sure if it did or not?
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
temporal

Postby temporal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

DocGratis wrote:Does the medbay healing increase apply to the remote healing on the Torus? I wasn't sure if it did or not?

Also curious about this.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:36 pm

As far as I can tell it seems to.
DeltaOmega

Postby DeltaOmega » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 pm

upgraded medbays are also used in certain events.
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 am

Upgraded medbay has saved my ass in more than one boarding action, where the AI was dumb enough to try and attack my combat crew in their fully upgraded medbay.

Hint: not a single crewmember died.