Mac OS X port/beta?

General discussion about the game.
jkamcmillen

Mac OS X port/beta?

Postby jkamcmillen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 am

Hi I'm a backer of this great looking game and I use a Mac. I don't run a Windows machine so I cannot try out the latest beta of the game as it's been sent out to me.

I'd love to help out and make this game better not only for the Mac porting, but also to help find the overall bugs and help point out things with the balancing issues and such.

When would I be likely to see a port of the game that I can play? I'm anxious as I love this game's vision and want to get in on the FTL fun!

Thanks.

PS: Any other Mac users waiting on this?
jkamcmillen

Re: Mac OS X port/beta?

Postby jkamcmillen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 am

*bump* Sorry, but I would like to know something... :?
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 am

Hey!

We hope to get the beta on Mac as well, but we would want it to run through Steam as well and it is going to take a while to set up. We won't get around to it until we iron out a lot of the bugs and minor features for the windows build.

In the meantime, a number of other users were able to get the beta running on Mac through WineSkin. I can't say I've ever used it but maybe someone else can help.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 am

Actually just check out the other post - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=438

They have some tips.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
jkamcmillen

Postby jkamcmillen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks again for responding Justin. Your time to help is much appreciated.

I'm hoping to contribute during the beta if I can. My Steam app seems to have broken, (users may run into this) but I believe I can fix it by cleaning it out of my system completely and reinstalling.

If I may ask what are you guys using for dev tools/language? I can see going from C/C++ to Objective-C being a royal pain. Though it's probably likely that your guys are already using something that can be more easily ported.

I may try to get some form of Windows emulation to ply the game as I'm really excited to play, but I don't want to have to resort to something messy that won't clean out of my system easily and least of all installing an actual copy of Windows on my system. The latter takes time and space on my hard drive.

Keep up the good work! This game looks awesome.
Mguy

Postby Mguy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 pm

FTL will work with wine so just install steam with your favorite wine application and play it that way, that's how I do it until the mac release :D