DocGratis

Re: Strategizery!

Postby DocGratis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:14 pm

LukaCola wrote:
Enkido wrote:One of my favourite anti boarding technique

- gather your crew in the medbay
- vent everything else
- kill them all

Then they destroy the life support and you all choke to death...

I can confirm that the leveled up medbay can heal you while in zero oxygen..
(I had a bad damage situation and was trying to repair my ship and had extra scrap so I tried it)

aviphysics wrote:I had the enemy jump out while I was fighting his pilot. This seems to indicate that the ship still counts as piloted. Pretty annoying IMO.

Gonna post this on getsatisfaction to see if they are willing to change it or maybe make it an option. Seems pretty silly to me that a crew member can fight and man a system at the same time.

I think the pilot while doing other thing was so that a pilot repairing a damaged level two system wouldn't render it a level 0 (take out level 2 no autopilot, so pilot starts repairing level 2, meaning level 1 is now unmanned)..

I actually like it and think it makes sense... I image a fight scene where the pilot is fighting and trying to push the flight stick wildly when he hears the alarm for incoming fire..

I do think the warping out with crew on board sucks.. you should be able to a last second TP back... (as long as your TP wasn't knocked out..) crew is so hard to come by to begin with
Weapons Officer "Aww do we really NEED 02 and Medbay? I want more weapon power"
Shields and Engine Officers "Yeah we want more power!"

Pilot (aka Captain) "Will you babies get back to work!"
Enkido

Postby Enkido » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm

LukaCola wrote:

- vent everything else
- kill them all

never happened, they head for the next habitable room ... surprise party in the medbay
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 pm

DocGratis wrote:
LukaCola wrote:

- vent everything else
- kill them all

I can confirm that the leveled up medbay can heal you while in zero oxygen..
(I had a bad damage situation and was trying to repair my ship and had extra scrap so I tried it)

aviphysics wrote:I had the enemy jump out while I was fighting his pilot. This seems to indicate that the ship still counts as piloted. Pretty annoying IMO.

Gonna post this on getsatisfaction to see if they are willing to change it or maybe make it an option. Seems pretty silly to me that a crew member can fight and man a system at the same time.

I think the pilot while doing other thing was so that a pilot repairing a damaged level two system wouldn't render it a level 0 (take out level 2 no autopilot, so pilot starts repairing level 2, meaning level 1 is now unmanned)..

I actually like it and think it makes sense... I image a fight scene where the pilot is fighting and trying to push the flight stick wildly when he hears the alarm for incoming fire..

I do think the warping out with crew on board sucks.. you should be able to a last second TP back... (as long as your TP wasn't knocked out..) crew is so hard to come by to begin with

Perhaps the pilot should repair at a reduced rate while flying the ship. I don't think they should be allowed to jump or pilot while repelling boarders. Boarding is a significant risk already and crew are very valuable. That risk should be rewarded.
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 pm

aviphysics wrote:Perhaps the pilot should repair at a reduced rate while flying the ship. I don't think they should be allowed to jump or pilot while repelling boarders. Boarding is a significant risk already and crew are very valuable. That risk should be rewarded.

I don't disagree with the reduced repair rate (if they can or want to implement it), but I don't see how saying they CAN'T jump makes a lot of sense..
(I can see the argument for no/reduced piloting while fighting)
But the game currently seems to suggest that the hard work of jumping is all in the engines.. You can charge the engines without a pilot, right?
And as soon as the pilot walks back into the room, he can hit jump...

I am wrong about that? (I usually leave the pilot in the cockpit, so I don't have a lot of experience with a ship sans pilot)
If you can charge the FTL without a pilot and one is only needed at jump I would say fighting shouldn't stop jumping...

If it was your pilot being attacked by boarders you would want them to jump.

aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 pm

IIRC the engines don't charge without a pilot. Found that out after a tough battle with a boarding party next to a sun that fried most of my ship. I had to pull in pilot to help out with damage control. Took me a moment to figure out why the jump engines weren't charging.

Personally, I am a fan of the StarWars FTL engines.
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.

-Han Solo
Last edited by aviphysics on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattman243

Postby Mattman243 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Enkido wrote:
LukaCola wrote:

- vent everything else
- kill them all

never happened, they head for the next habitable room ... surprise party in the medbay

My strategy for 90% of boarding situations. Send to Medbay, and once the oxygen gets drained enough, they just head to the medbay to get killed. You'd think they'd be smarter than that ;)
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

aviphysics wrote:IIRC the engines don't charge without a pilot. Found that out after a tough battle with a boarding party next to a sun that fried most of my ship. I had to pull in pilot to help out with damage control. Took me a moment to figure out why the jump engines weren't charging.

Personally, I am a fan of the StarWars FTL engines.
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it.

-Han Solo

Was it not charging, or was it charged, but you just couldn't jump...
My experience has seemed like it was the latter... but I would have to check that..

Enkido

Postby Enkido » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Mattman243 wrote:
Enkido wrote:
LukaCola wrote:

My strategy for 90% of boarding situations. Send to Medbay, and once the oxygen gets drained enough, they just head to the medbay to get killed. You'd think they'd be smarter than that ;)

indeed ... it also possible sometimes ... if you disable their transporter so they cant beam back with low health ... they surrender and you get new crew members
DocGratis

Postby DocGratis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Enkido wrote:
indeed ... it also possible sometimes ... if you disable their transporter so they cant beam back with low health ... they surrender and you get new crew members

Oh my god I need to try this!
I used to just get miffed that I missed out on like two more punches for combat training.. I could be getting new crew?

I totally want a crew complement larger than 8 now! :twisted:

Lambchops

Postby Lambchops » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 pm

How to you guys decide on your strategy for the fun in terms of what you are focusing upgrading?

With the Kestrel at least I have a tendency to explore the first couple of sectors as fully as I can getting as much scrap as possible and seeing what luck bestows on me. If I get a decent weapon early then I'll quickly upgrade that system and usually shields as well and perhaps purchase another complementary weapon if the game sees fit to give me one. If I get a decent drone (hello, Defence MkII my friend!) I'll save for drone control. If I come across a Mantis or Rockman I'll save for a teleporter and buy another one for an away team if they crop up in stores. As a last ditch I save up for cloak but I haven't quite got the knack of what to upgrade to complement it and sometimes hang on to the scrap instead in the hope of something good but not upgrading anything after sector 2 starts to get somewhat risky.

One strategy I've never really used and should probably try is ever significantly upgrading engines. I tend to focus on shields but I guess engines give you that chance to do some dodging here and there and get out of hairy situations with a FTL jump. How useful do you guys tend to find engine upgrades?