What is your favorite tactic for repelling boarders?

General discussion about the game.
Bomaz

What is your favorite tactic for repelling boarders?

Postby Bomaz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

When attacked with a large number of boarders (especially when not fighting a ship) I hide everyone in the medbay (and possibly an adjacent room) and open all the other doors. Then the enemy comes to me rather quickly without damaging my systems and killing my people in the medbay is almost impossible.

What good tactics do you have?
Trigeminal

Re: What is your favorite tactic for repelling boarders?

Postby Trigeminal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Bomaz wrote:When attacked with a large number of boarders (especially when not fighting a ship) I hide everyone in the medbay (and possibly an adjacent room) and open all the other doors. Then the enemy comes to me rather quickly without damaging my systems and killing my people in the medbay is almost impossible.

What good tactics do you have?

I do the same thing, except I open the outer doors too. This forces them to fight, while losing oxygen (and hp). I usually keep someone flying (if 4 or more), so I shut the cockpit.
reverend

Postby reverend » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Depends. If possible I just gang up on them, but if that's too dangerous - letting them breathe vacuum seems to be the preferred way to go. :D
Bomaz

Postby Bomaz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Trigeminal wrote:I do the same thing, except I open the outer doors too. This forces them to fight, while losing oxygen (and hp). I usually keep someone flying (if 4 or more), so I shut the cockpit.

Note: all other doors includes outer doors
DarkFenix

Postby DarkFenix » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I make a habit of keeping multiple mantis crew members aboard because I like offensive boarding tactics. This by default means I have a crack team of fast moving crew ready to respond to hostile boarders. If the hostiles are unlucky enough to appear near an external door I give them a taste of vacuum to soften them up a bit, then hit their teleporter with a missile to prevent escape :twisted:.
Zeno

Postby Zeno » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Pray that I have either Mantis crew or the Small Bomb weapon.
Gimboid

Postby Gimboid » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 am

I do this too, but it totally busted me in one game, as I was by a super nova (and this plan works great for keeping the fires out too), but then my O2 supply got knocked out.. and I couldn't get it back online so all my crew died :(
temporal

Postby temporal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm

DarkFenix wrote:I make a habit of keeping multiple mantis crew members aboard because I like offensive boarding tactics. This by default means I have a crack team of fast moving crew ready to respond to hostile boarders. If the hostiles are unlucky enough to appear near an external door I give them a taste of vacuum to soften them up a bit, then hit their teleporter with a missile to prevent escape :twisted:.

This!

I'll usually employ these tactics on the Taurus: Pick up 1 or 2 mantis crew members, equip a combat drone. Boarders aren't a problem and with a teleporter you can turn that defense into some nasty offense. Just be sure to knock out their medbay before boarding...

Side note: I really don't like the "under attack and boarded" events where the event plops a bunch of hostiles on your ship despite the fact that the enemy ship doesn't have a teleporter. You have to deal with the boarders all the while knowing that the enemy ship is fully manned and anyone you kill doesn't set them back at all.
Nori

Postby Nori » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Gimboid wrote:I do this too, but it totally busted me in one game, as I was by a super nova (and this plan works great for keeping the fires out too), but then my O2 supply got knocked out.. and I couldn't get it back online so all my crew died :(

I've had this happen. You really need two engi crew members to quickly repair the O2 system then run back to medbay. It is tough though and is a dangerous tactic if they go for the O2 system. A nice feature would be if we could equip a space suit to the crew that gives them X amount of time extra to survive in a vacuum.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:50 pm

+1 for Vent and med bay, works like a dream on the Taurus Engi ship, wathcing engi crew take mantis boarders down in a med bay is a thing of beauty :twisted: