What is the reasoning behind unreachable beacons?

General discussion about the game.
FDru

What is the reasoning behind unreachable beacons?

Postby FDru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 pm

I get that the devs apparently think unreachable beacons aren't a problem. But why?

To me, it makes zero sense for an unreachable beacon to show up on the map. In galaxies with billions of stars, we can fly to maybe 20 of them. Okay, that's fine since apparently these locations were significant enough for some people to go there, and then to set up warp beacons and for them to show up on our travel map.

So if someone could go there before us and set up beacons, why can't we? Makes no sense and I don't find it flavorful or fun, it's more just annoying.

Also, if the game knows that a beacon is unreachable (since quests and exits won't spawn on them) then why not just hide them?
boa13

Re: What is the reasoning behind unreachable beacons?

Postby boa13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:18 pm

The devs think it gives a feeling a greater depth to the game universe.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Number43

Re: What is the reasoning behind unreachable beacons?

Postby Number43 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 am

They weren't intended to occur I think, but the algorythm for generating the map wasn't perfect. Originally it was a bug where quests or even exits could be in those unreachable beacons, and making it so those don't appear there was an easier and quicker fix to program than removing the beacons entirely, and as it doesn't really affect things and with the limited amount of time they have available it was better to focus on other things they can fix that have a bigger impact.