Suggestion: More Hotkeys and/or full keyboard control

General discussion about the game.
spunky

Suggestion: More Hotkeys and/or full keyboard control

Postby spunky » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:01 am

There have been several threads suggesting adding hotkeys for commonly accessed commands such as crew selection, "Jump" command, etc.

However, it would be great if I could play the game without ever using the mouse. For example, every room on the ship (both yours and the enemies) could have a hotkey. Then, to move a crew member into a room, you could hit their hotkey and then the hotkey for the appropriate room.

Or, to focus a weapon fire on the enemy, you hit the weapon hotkey and then the room on the enemy's ship (or your own ship for self-targeting).

I realize that for some weapons (like the halberd beam) this might be problematic.

It would be great if the entire game could be played without ever touching the mouse.

People who would enjoy this:
1. People who are used to having one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse for RTS games (Starcraft, etc.)
2. People who are used to full keyboard control, work in the terminal, Linux, etc.

By the way, I LOVE the game and the beta. I feel like I've gotten $25 worth of gametime out of it already. Keep up the good work! :)
bschoner

Re: Suggestion: More Hotkeys and/or full keyboard control

Postby bschoner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:10 am

+1. I would definitely enjoy as much keyboard control as possible.
x_dirtrobot

Postby x_dirtrobot » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 am

+1
cyrilthefish

Postby cyrilthefish » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:16 am

For vaguely similar reasons, i agree ;)

I'd like a whole raft of keyboard shortcuts so i can map them to to my razer naga mouse (17-button MMO mouse) so i don't need to use the keyboard at all :lol:
slack

Postby slack » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 pm

++

I'd be happy with hotkeys for drones and different hotkeys for actions honestly. I have the action hotkeys turned off because choosing the wrong thing was annoying, but at an enemyless jump I usually just want to tap 1 and bolt.
ColOfNature

Postby ColOfNature » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I thought drones could be launched with 5 and 6?

I'd like to be able to select crew with the keyboard, e.g. Q, A, Z for the first three, then W, S, etc for additional crewmen.
...common and uninteresting.
aepurniet

Postby aepurniet » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

ColOfNature wrote:I thought drones could be launched with 5 and 6?
I'd like to be able to select crew with the keyboard, e.g. Q, A, Z for the first three, then W, S, etc for additional crewmen.

This, i was thinking function keys, or 'QWERTY...'
ImpactSmash

Postby ImpactSmash » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 pm

+1

More hotkeys would be appreciated.
GodFire

Postby GodFire » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 pm

A little late^^
but I would like to +1 this as well, especially for the cloak I would like a hotkey...
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 pm

GodFire wrote:A little late^^
but I would like to +1 this as well, especially for the cloak I would like a hotkey...

There is one. it's called space. It pauses the game so that you can stealth using the onscreen UI. ;)

No, seriously I understand hot keys for weapons, drones and even crew members, but why would you need a hotkey for stealt, teleport or door control? the pause button should do just fine?