Suggestion: Encoutering old ships in new playthroughs.

General discussion about the game.
Jason

Suggestion: Encoutering old ships in new playthroughs.

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am

What could be a fun and interesting feature is to save the position and stats of all the ships you have run through and if any are destroyed say in sector 2 a civilian sector, then the next time you run through and get to sector 2 and pick a civilian sector there is a small chance say 1% that one of the points contains the wreckage of an "unknown" ship where you can salvage parts and equipment from i.e. that old ship you lost. Sorta like an automatic easter egg for old ships you lost in the game.
AJTilley

Re: Suggestion: Encoutering old ships in new playthroughs.

Postby AJTilley » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:49 am

Hi,

I like this idea, although there are already events where you encounter an empty ship or a destroyed ship or items just floating in space. How would they make this different... The only way I could see this working is if the text event included a part where it says something like.

"As you scan the debris you see the name on the side of the vessel is 'The Kestral' and it has markings similar to an imperial vessel, from salvaging it you gained...."

And the name field draws in the name you gave the last ship you flew and what type of ship in this case imperial.
Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm

The reason not to include the name is that all ships are generally the same name each run unless you change them so that will be like you piloting the kestrel and finding the wreak of a ship called the kestrel. They could put the text description as "you find the wreak of a ship its looks familiar but there is to much damage to make out" then the loot you find is based to what you where carrying not everything you where carrying but just something based on it.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Jason wrote:The reason not to include the name is that all ships are generally the same name each run unless you change them so that will be like you piloting the kestrel and finding the wreak of a ship called the kestrel. They could put the text description as "you find the wreak of a ship its looks familiar but there is to much damage to make out" then the loot you find is based to what you where carrying not everything you where carrying but just something based on it.

The obvious explanation for such an encounter is that you are in a time loop, causing you to make the same journey over and over again until you succeed in your mission. In that case, seeing the name makes little difference, especially if you only ever encounter the ship from the last playthrough.
Limiate

Postby Limiate » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 pm

This idea reminds me of finding the gravestones in Oregon trail - it was always fun to see them and it didn't have a averse affect on the playthrough.

Typically I did not think of it as "oh that was my last wagon" it was more along the lines of "wow, this group is doing so much better!"

What if the game kept your last 3-5 playthrough wrecks with a limit of 1 per sector (to avoid the dynamic of people wrecking over and over in the starter system) and only if your ship had a customized name?
astrosteve

Postby astrosteve » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:57 am

This reminds me of the Bones file from NetHack. You come across a tombstone of a previous character and sometimes some of their equipment. (And usually what killed them as well.) This is particularly interesting if the copy of NetHack is played by many users. (Such as one of the public servers, like nethack.alt.org)

Anyway, I like the idea. In theory, users could trade the data files with the ship information and you could see other people's ships as well. While it wouldn't add much to the game itself in terms of gameplay, it would give the universe a feeling of being more alive. (And I'm always down for that.)
Elexorne

Postby Elexorne » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:43 am

Personally I would like to see in some games effects from previous ones :P Besides, most common, wreckages of your previous ships :P sometimes ship can be boarded by some faction or crew can just die (because of oxygen depravation, for example) and you could encounter a ghost ship :P Or, even some time enemy ship could escape with your boarding party on it, so it would be fun to meet your fellow crew members on captured ship or being sold by slave trader.