saving in FTL

General discussion about the game.
aviphysics

Re: saving in FTL

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Luringen wrote:I don't see any reason for saving. It takes time to implement, and is easily exploitable. To save, you need to save it to a file. It doesn't matter if it only happens on exit, and is deleted on start, you could still copy the file. Later, you could start a new game, quit and replace the useless save file for your backed up one. I can't think of any way to prevent this, if you can then please explain. It's easy to exploit and considering the fact that most games doesn't last too long (and the fact that you could just leave the game running unless you are using a laptop and need to move it) and the added development time, I don't find this necessary.

As I have already said, because the game can easily be run in a virtual machine, such as Virtual Box, people can already save the state of the virtual machine and reload if they want to beat the system.

Not including a save on exit just makes the game more inconvenient for normal players. It doesn't do anything to prevent cheating of any sort.

Programming a formatted write to file of a few variables would hardly take any time at all. There are several things they could do to make the file more secure. For starters, they could add a checksum to the file to prevent people adding weapons. Anything more than this is a waste of time because people who really want to can still cheat other ways.
Last edited by aviphysics on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

VladePsyker wrote:I'm sure the devs will take a look at the number of people who are playing thier game and the hours spent playing vs the number of people who have commented in this thread and make the appropriate decision ;)

Why are you so quick to assume that anyone who isn't posting must agree with you, and that if people are playing the game that must mean they can't also want a save feature?
Last edited by Maze1125 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:06 pm

VladePsyker wrote:I'm sure the devs will take a look at the number of people who are playing thier game and the hours spent playing vs the number of people who have commented in this thread and make the appropriate decision ;)

Right now there are a few thousand people playing the game. These are part of a self selected group willing to take a chance on a new game, recognizing that it might not be perfect.

The general public might be less forgiving of a missing core feature, such as save on exit.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:10 pm

VladePsyker wrote:its never one thing that makes a great game stand out its a collection of things when combined makes a memorable game

Aquaman: Battle For Atlantis was also memorable. I guess that must mean the devs did a great job.
Wintersong

Postby Wintersong » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:48 pm

VladePsyker wrote:How bout time taken to implement unplanned saves will detract from the time that can be spent on additional content ?

So do we ban any "unplanned suggestion" made here or in the other site too? Just in case they take time from that "additional content"? Or do we let the devs decide by themselves after testing the waters of public opinion and checking their long run plans?

My last game lasted almost 3 hours. Anything that doesn't end in the two first sectors, lasts at least one hour. And I play legit according to the game's options. Maybe I'm unique and special. FTL is a good game but no amount of "additional content" will make it better for me if I don't find the base as solid as it should be.

I don't like how the menus are designed in general but I'm not sure if I should bother commenting about it. Why? Because maybe they are "roguelike" (I do lack experience in the field) and trying to provide some feedback about it would end with people posting "We dont' need better menus. Those unplanned changes would detract from the time that can be spent on additional content.". Unless we were talking on Achievements for the Steam version. Then it's ok if the devs take unplanned time to add that stuff. :lol:
Nori

Postby Nori » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:27 pm

reverend wrote:Well 'no save' makes this stand out in my mind as a game I won't be playing much. The reason I play roguelikes ist that I can fire them up for 5 minutes, do a couple of turns then exit and do something productive. Since it takes me about 10-20 minutes to play through one sector in this game I won't be playing it. If I had longer timeslots available, I wouldn't be playing a roguelike - those timeslots are saved for games that I can't break down into short chunks.

Just yesterday I had to abandon a perfectly good run because another issue came up and I had to quit. Kinda makes me not want to start again, since it simply isn't what I signed up and pledged for...

Also, I'm still waiting for a single reason against saving. So far I've read "you don't need it" - hell yes I do, obviously. And "it allows cheating" - so does having the gamestate in RAM, not to mention it's a singleplayer game. Guess I just don't see why people (ok, you) are so determined to keep quite a lot of other people from enjoying the game.

Totally agree with this. Especially with the not having heard a real reason against saving. Just because some people don't need it doesn't mean others don't. And it being a single player game why does anyone care if cheating is possible? Honestly those are the two most stupid reasons ever.

As I and many others have said. A lot of games last over a hour and not being able to save is ridiculous. I can't always sit in front of my computer for hours on end and forcing the player base to do this is not what most of us signed up and pledged for.

I can guarantee that when this comes out of beta and is released you guys are going to get a ton of flak from people when they buy the game and discover you can't save progress. It is simply not acceptable.
reverend

Postby reverend » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Just to add another reason for having some kind of save mechanism: Debugging. Right now I'm just waiting for an obscure gamestopping bug to pop up that the devs can't reproduce for the simple fact that the reporting players can't send in a savegame with the exact conditions of the bug met... :D
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Maze1125 wrote:

Why are you so quick to assume that anyone who isn't posting must agree with you, and that if people are playing the game that must mean they can't also want a save feature?

I don't, and my post doesn't say that. how can you assume they do ? ;)
reverend

Postby reverend » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't know, but all I see is more and more people registering and saying they need a way to save the game. Both here and on GetSatisfaction. Whereas the camp of "no save at all!" is strangely empty...
Mattman243

Postby Mattman243 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 pm

+1 for Save and Quit feature. Most of my games are lasting over 1 hour. I don't like leaving my computer on overnight if I don't have to!