General discussion about the game.
Enkido

Re: saving in FTL

Postby Enkido » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 pm

i use vmware to load and save, works like a charm
gunnar_z

Postby gunnar_z » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 am

but that requires a second windows license, a bit of a steep price for emulating a missing feature.

Add 1 in favour of save-on-quit and continue. I have had this feature since my endless quests in nethack, back when coloured ASCII was state of the art graphics. I was mildly annoyed when after a few returns to the hangar I got to my third jump, then had to quit because of RL cutting in, and found that all my efforts were lost. Some of us just can't always make a few hours to play a game. I find the attitude of the torchlight folks admirable, who stated that the have save-on-quit because they respect their players time and want to give them the opportunity to play in small increments. Because, for some people, that is all they get.
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 am

I'm not in the beta, but I do know my MMO life goes like this.

"Logging on...

20 minutes of play....

Accosted by children to do something...

Game time ends."

So saving on quit would be wonderful in my mind. This could also mean that in the future the game could be given a LONGER playing time and story, possibly.
Tiron

Postby Tiron » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 pm

+1 for save on quit, i like the roguelike expirience, and the difficulty, but for me i sometimes cant play for longer than a hour and it would be a shame to cancel the active game just because i have no time to get further.
rawls

Postby rawls » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm

curithwin wrote:"Logging on...

20 minutes of play....

Accosted by children to do something...

Game time ends."

Five years ago I wouldn't mind if there were a saving feature or not. But now as a father, this is my experience, too. I only like to add that pausing the game and putting my coputer in hibernate is not a feasible option because often it takes some days till I can resume playing a game. Thats why I realy like to see a save feature where I can resume my current session at any time. (save on quit)

I'm going to buy FTL with or without "save on quit", but I will probably enjoy the game more with it. If you can't implement it before release please consider to add it later via a patch (or as a DLC for some bucks :roll: ).

Btw. I realy don't get it why some people think that the possibility of cheating in an single player game matters at all.
Nori

Postby Nori » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 pm

rawls wrote:~snip
Btw. I realy don't get it why some people think that the possibility of cheating in an single player game matters at all.

Totally agree....

At the very least, have a "ironman" option where you can't exit/save and have a "normal" option that allows for saving/exiting. You could even make the ironman option give a 20% score increase or something. Just don't make "normal" any easier or decreased drops or anything... Both would be like now, but normal would allow save on exit and ironman wouldn't but would give a bonus to score.
Muramas

Postby Muramas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:35 pm

/signed

I often need to run off and do something in the middle of a game and I rather not loose my game. It should just have a continue feature for when you close your game it can continue from where you were this makes it so people can't save/load game when things are going bad.
SparroHawc

Postby SparroHawc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Enkido wrote:i use vmware to load and save, works like a charm

And this is why not including a save feature is ridiculous. If saves don't exist to eliminate save scumming, you have already failed.

I, for one, would love a save-on-exit, delete-save-on-resume system like all major roguelikes have. My games tend to run long because I explore and have a tendency to go slowly through fights. A single game can easily run over two hours if I'm doing well.
Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 pm

The thing is, when justin and matthew started the game, it was a personal project, and saving wasn't really required. now, however, they're mass-marketing it to the general public (no problem with this, i'd have done the same) and no saving really impacts both the playability of the game for a large amount of the population. the moment they finished the kickstarter with so much backer's money it stopped being their game, and became the game they made with us. and 95% of the population would like save-on-exit delete-on-resume. perhaps put it to a vote among kickstarters? sorry, only i think saving is a game-changer. #rantover.
sad but true

Postby sad but true » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Like many before me I registered to say the following things:

- Please implement a save and resume feature if it is a technical possibility.
- Please, if you're reading this thread and agree/disagree with us or the devs, register and make your opinion, whatever it is, known to the developers.

I hope to still enjoy the game despite being unable to start a session on the train and finish it when I get home or vice versa. I'll probably be able to but it'll also probably be frustrating and will eventually lead to lost progress/sessions when I have battery troubles or unexpected events in real life.

Is this the end of the world? Nope, but I will also not be recommending the game to my friends (who are voracious gamers and might have enjoyed a game like this) because I know the ability to resume where one left off is basically a foregone conclusion for them.

ps - Simply handwaving this issue away with a casual "It's a rogue like so no save feature" statement is insulting and, quite honestly, not true. Many, many quintessential roguelike games implement a feature whereby the entire game doesn't have to be won in a single session. The only place I've persistently seen a lack of a resume feature is in arcade consoles that take quarters/tokens and, honestly, isn't that basically the nature of the beast when it comes to games that are designed to take your money from you on a pay-per-play basis?