Re: saving in FTL

Postby ezryder » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

+1

My days of contiguous game play hours (or even an hour) are over. :(
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Maze1125 wrote:Absolutely.
So better to please the majority than the minority, and the majority is clearly asking for the ability to save on exit.

This thread has less than 50 posts what majority do you speak of ;)
reverend

Postby reverend » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:01 pm

The majority that makes this the second longest thread on the forums... And brought people like me to register only to voice in on the need for having a save. :P

Also, I still don't see what a 'save on exit' would take away from the game. It only adds playability to folks with limit / unpredictable timeslots.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:08 pm

VladePsyker wrote:
So better to please the majority than the minority, and the majority is clearly asking for the ability to save on exit.

Yes this thread is only 50ish posts long, yet I've counted at least 24 individual people in favour of being able to save on exit.
And I'm fairly sure the number is higher, as I discounted people who only argued in favour of the change without explicitly saying they wanted it themselves.

As for people explicitly against it? I only counted 1, you. With a couple of others offering explanations for the lack of a save without supporting the decision themselves.

Even accounting for the complaint bias that forums tend to have, that is blatant majority.
Last edited by Maze1125 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battlemage15

Postby Battlemage15 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:09 pm

+1 for Save on Exit and Continue

+1 for a Save System - Have beaten the final boss, but it can be a pain.
Syphus

Postby Syphus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Maze1125 wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:

Yes this thread is only 50ish posts long, yet I've counted at least 24 individual people in favour of being able to save on exit.
And I'm fairly sure the number is higher, as I discounted people who only argued in favour of the change without explicitly saying they wanted it themselves.

As for people explicitly against it? I only counted 1, you. With a couple of others offering explanations for the lack of a save without supporting the decision themselves.

Even accounting for the complaint bias that forums tend to have, that is blatant majority.

Majority in this thread means Majority of people in the beta? Because I don't think 24 is the majority of 3,000+. In fact, that's some fraction I can't even begin to comprehend.
KrunkSplein

Postby KrunkSplein » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:42 pm

tl;dr; - I definitely would like to be able to save and quit.

I've been through both this thread and the GetSatisfaction thread for this issue. To be clear, this is only about the ability to "Save and quit", where the savegame is deleted upon resuming. There are a sizable number of people who genuinely want the ability to stop playing and continue their game later. Most people are either good with that or just don't care. Then there are a small, very vocal few who seem vehemently against any sort of saving for any reason.

This is especially evident on GetSatisfaction, where a request to have stats saved on the Steam cloud was dominated by one poster berating everyone who expressed a desire to save.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Syphus wrote:Majority in this thread means Majority of people in the beta? Because I don't think 24 is the majority of 3,000+. In fact, that's some fraction I can't even begin to comprehend.

No, it's a sample of the people who care about this game.
Obviously not all of them.

But that's what statistics works on, samples of the population.

Current statistics put 26/27 people in favour of adding a save on exit and 1/27 against.
As I said, there is certainly some bias in the statistics, so if you want to gather less biased ones, be my guest, but I somehow doubt that the whole rest of the people in the beta are massively against the change, given none of them, bar one, are willing to support their viewpoint with even a forum post.
Howler

Postby Howler » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:00 pm

+1 for Save on Exit and Continue

The game is far too long, especially if you explore, to not be able to save and continue later. This is standard for even roguelikes - they delete the save after you load it to continue. You don't get multiple saves, just a way to stop playing without leaving the game running paused which is impractical for many.

For those who are furiously arguing against this, don't use it and worry less about what other people are doing. Abuse via save scumming by some stranger in his single player game isn't worth worrying about.

The developers *will* lose potential customers over this when reviewers call it out as an issue. Whether it's reviewed as a poor design choice or ineptitude is yet to be seen, but missing something this basic is significant and impairs an otherwise brilliant game.
reverend

Postby reverend » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Howler wrote:The developers *will* lose potential customers over this when reviewers call it out as an issue. Whether it's reviewed as a poor design choice or ineptitude is yet to be seen, but missing something this basic is significant and impairs an otherwise brilliant game.

They'll lose potential customers when beta testers won't suggest it to their friends because of missing something integral like a save, especially when they discard with a simple one-liner and no reasoning at all.