General discussion about the game.
Colorfulfeces

Re: saving in FTL

Postby Colorfulfeces » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Yeah, A save on exit would be nice.
Trigeminal

Postby Trigeminal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 pm

I'd also love to see a"Save and Exit" in the game and a "continue" button in the main menu.

Truthfully, my life is busy and I usually have an hour or less a couple times a week to play. That will make beating this game impossible without a save function of some sort.
dnblumberg

Postby dnblumberg » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Agreed, a single save slot would be of great help. I'd like to be able to save a session that was doing well and be able to continue it later in the day.
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 pm

I have just played the game for about 4 hours or so and managed to get through about 10 games, meaning the average time per game is 24 minutes, and some of these games got to the last sector.

Anyway my point is that save is not essential or needed for this kind of game, and I believe their view seems fairly strong and in this regard all anyone should do is respect it and move on. Now I have gotten used to the no save I have embraced it and enjoyed playing, after all If it all goes wrong just try again.
Wintersong

Postby Wintersong » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 am

AJTilley wrote:I have just played the game for about 4 hours or so and managed to get through about 10 games, meaning the average time per game is 24 minutes, and some of these games got to the last sector.

My last game took me a bit more than two hours (as usual, defeat against boss :) run out of missiles and dragged quite a lot). The previous one, more than one hour. Yes, I'm still crawling through Easy (which affects scrap rates and enemy generation, no the difficulty of the combat itself?) so that helps to last longer and I'm quite slow, pause a lot and stuff. Playing in Normal with proper enemy generation should increase chances of meeting "Chuck Norris" sooner and acelerate the demise of my crew. And knowing better all the innards of the game will reduce more those times too. But being Easy a legit option to play the game, I thought I should mention it.

Not everybody will end their games in 30 minutes and not everybody will go over the 60 minutes mark. But those who need more time or those who suffer from "Life happens", would be glad of having a "Save and Exit" option. The lack of such option also hurts the possibility of playing the game in "short bursts". But maybe it's not part of the devs' plan/design, which in my opinion (as biased as it is) would be a pity as it certainly seems very inviting to play it that way too.

The game wouldn't be less fun for not having it, of course. And the issue is certainly not about having to start over (which is part of the fun of the game) but of having more control about when we play it. But if the devs really think that there must not be one, I'll disagree with them but accept it.
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 am

That is pretty much where i am, I would prefer a save and quit option as i said at the start, but i can live without it and the more i play and the better i get at controlling the ship the faster my games go. I also tend to play in normal which as you say speeds the games up a bit.

On a side not I should point out:
Save anbd quit can also be abused and this may be the reason they dont wish to include save and quit features...

I have seen in other roguelikes with that feature that people save and quit when they get to a new area or level, then reload the game then if they die or look like they are going to die they ctrl alt delete to close the game so they can load up their safe save game. If they could keep a persistant save game to prevent this issue then it would be a good inclusion and maintain the roguelike style and give people who cant play for more than 10-20 minutes at a time a chance to play that way.
abe

Postby abe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Save and exit would be hugely appreciated. I play slow, my games are regularly over an hour, sometimes over two.
Baron_von_Noodles

Postby Baron_von_Noodles » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:31 am

I see really good arguments for both leaving the save feature out of the game and for adding it to the final product, but personally, for me, I can't deal with the lack of one too well. 

Don't get me wrong, I love how unforgiving the game can be (death is even managing to be fun) and I completely respect the developers' vision, but a save feature won't spur me to attempt cheating and anyone who buys this game and does in no way ruins anyone else's gaming experience.

It's just that, as a homeowner, holder of three jobs, and soon to be family man, the last thing I need to hear is that I may not have enough time to donate to my biggest and most relaxing hobby. Since I'm experiencing difficulty justifying leaving my computer running for 12 hours while I'm at work because I'm in the middle of an awesome run (which typically takes me 1-2 hours) that I didn't want to quit out of, that's the very thought that goes through my mind. A save & quit feature would simply save me money on electricity and be kinder on my computer.

Who can argue with those being bad things?
Bushman

Postby Bushman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:48 am

Unless it is technically a problem, there is no reason why a save system wouldn't be benefit this game.
My games are lasting way more than 20 minutes.
It should auto save every time you jump, or make a decision, or finish a fight. This would prevent most of the foolishness of saving, then trying something out, then restarting from the save if it was a bad decision.

If this game ships without the ability to save, it will be the number one complaint by users.
Dahn

Postby Dahn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 am

Well reasoned Bushman, that should also stop any of the possibilities of "cheating" by loading older saves without quiting properly.
I'd love a save on quit, as a few others said, I also play fairly slowly so that a good run can take an hour or more.
Sometimes life does get in the way and I'd hate to ditch a great run because I had to go do something else.