saving in FTL

General discussion about the game.
astrosteve

Re: saving in FTL

Postby astrosteve » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:31 am

I figured I'd toss my voice into this and say I also think a save is absolutely necessary. I'd be cool with only one slot. I come from a strong background of playing Roguelikes (since 1987. Yes, I'm old.) and am used to permadeath and all that. I can't really think of a valid reason to not include the ability to save. Automatically deleting a save on death is also fine. I'm wondering if they're trying to avoid save scrumming (as you can't save scrum if there is no save file), but that's really just a guess on my part.

But yes, please, add saves. I had to abandon a fairly promising game last night because I needed to get to bed because I had to work today. I was mildly annoyed.
irongamer

Postby irongamer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 am

There is no reason to not have a quit/resume, other than it will take them time to program that feature. A quit/resume takes no risk out of the game. I would be willing to wait for this feature and think it should be added. I don't think save slots should be added as that would mess with the risks of the game play.

If individuals are so concerned about leader boards and people editing their quit/resume file just make it so leader board games cannot be used with quit/resume.

After playing few a few times and not starting to play (because I would not have time to finish and I was not going to leave my computer on over night [sorry I don't do standby]), I believe a quit/resume feature would really round out the entire experience.

I have already had to leave FTL running in the background during the day. It reminded me of pausing the old Nintendo over a weekend to "save" my game back in the day. It is the 21st century now, quit/resume should be standard.
Last edited by irongamer on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 am

A work around for saving

IIRC VirtualBox has a save state feature. As lame as it sounds, you could run the game in a virtual machine and save the VMs state. You could then reload the state when you want to continue your game. If Virtual Box doesn't have save state I am sure one of the other VM programs does.

This whole business of worrying about people hacking saved games is as stupid as worrying about what position you neighbor enjoys with his wife.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:15 am

aviphysics wrote:This whole business of worrying about people hacking saved games is as stupid as worrying about what position you neighbor enjoys with his wife.

Apparently the devs picked their sensibilities from the deep south.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:21 am

you know you can just leave the game on pause in the background if you have leave it, since it auto-pauses as soon as you leave the window.

if your playing from work "naughty naughty :twisted: " you can just remote desktop to your home computer which can stay on during the day so whenever you need to drop it it'll be waiting for you on pause when you get home.

there a workarounds if your desperate but a save is not needed in any form

I vote no saves , this game is brutal and no saves just makes it even more so , LOVE IT :twisted:
Rattlebox

Postby Rattlebox » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 am

VladePsyker wrote:you know you can just leave the game on pause in the background if you have leave it, since it auto-pauses as soon as you leave the window.

if your playing from work "naughty naughty :twisted: " you can just remote desktop to your home computer which can stay on during the day so whenever you need to drop it it'll be waiting for you on pause when you get home.

I vote no saves , this game is brutal and no saves just makes it even more so , LOVE IT :twisted:

But, no one would be forcing you to save if saving was implemented. You could continue playing the game without saving as you are, and those of us who would like a simple "save on exit" feature could have that. Win/win.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:34 am

Rattlebox wrote:
VladePsyker wrote:you know you can just leave the game on pause in the background if you have leave it, since it auto-pauses as soon as you leave the window.

But, no one would be forcing you to save if saving was implemented. You could continue playing the game without saving as you are, and those of us who would like a simple "save on exit" feature could have that. Win/win.

I'm not going to argue the "well if you don't like the feature don't use it" because its a circular argument.

Instead I'll just say you'll never please everyone so why try ? It's not like the people asking for a save on exit will stop playing the game if they don't get it ;)

This is a classic arcade style game, no saves gives it charm ;) , man seeing this in the arcade when I was a boy that woulda been epic :D

honestly asking for save for this game is like asking for saves on classic arcade Donkey Kong, Pacman or Tetris half the challenge was real life tearing you away :D

Oh gawd that reminds me of Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES, get through entire game and bam nope go back to the start and come back with the bracelet I forgot to mention, 2 complete playthroughs no saves that was a challenge :D
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 am

I would like to be able to pause the game and get back to it at a later date.
reverend

Postby reverend » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:22 am

VladePsyker wrote:

Almost all big, popular and successful roguelike have save on exit, quite often in conjunction with a save on new level. Angband & variants. Nethack. TOME. Dungeoncrawl Stonesoup. Torchlight. Dungeons of Dredmor. Even other coffee-break games: DoomRL (on level), Atom Zombie Smasher (on level)...

It's really just a standard feature of roguelikes. And one where there is no reason at all to omit it. The difficulty doesn't suddenly drop just because you can quit your game and resume it the next day when you've got another hour to kill. No save just has one single effect: Inconvenience and frustration for all who take longer for a playthrough (I take about 10-20 minutes per sector).
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 am

VladePsyker wrote:Instead I'll just say you'll never please everyone so why try ?

Absolutely.
So better to please the majority than the minority, and the majority is clearly asking for the ability to save on exit.

Everyone understands why repeated save slots are a bad idea. But the only downside to a save on exit is that people might exploit them, but such people are just going to cheat in other ways if they want, there's no point in trying to stop that.

It's not like the people asking for a save on exit will stop playing the game if they don't get it ;)

How do you know that?
I for one will be playing it far less without the option to continue a game and, so long as one isn't implemented, will be much less willing to recommend it to the people I know.

Not out of spite or anger, or dislike of the game, but simply because my life, and the lives of the people I know, aren't able to accommodate uninterrupted play sessions very often.

If this game is to reach all its potential audience, then a save on exit is absolutely necessary.
People who have secure periods of time to dedicate to games will play through an entire game in one go anyway, a save on exit does nothing but allow people without those secure periods of time to enjoy the game too.