saving in FTL

General discussion about the game.
razer251

Re: saving in FTL

Postby razer251 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:41 pm

I just joined the forum specifically to add my vote to "Save on Exit".

I've only played a few times and a Save on Exit feature would be wonderful. So far my games take hours and I tend to run out of time. It be nice to be able to quit and then resume at another time.

I don't think there should be general save slot as that defeats the purpose of a Rogue, but a save that allows you to resume at a later time works fine.
Legends are generally bad news; there's not that much difference between heroes and madmen.
-Solid Snake

The quiet eyes of one speak louder than the voices of many...
quadnad

Postby quadnad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but I figure it's worth throwing my hat into the ring. A save on exit feature wouldn't hurt the spirit of the game (which I believe normal saves would), and allows me to deal with 'real life' when it calls without losing out on my progress. Real Life is an unfortunate fact for those of us that are getting older, and it would be a shame if something like save on exit didn't make it to a great game like this.
diziet

Postby diziet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Save on exit, save like minecraft. I really don't care too much how FTL implements it but it's really important for me and would massively impact the time I **can/want to** invest in the game.

The thought that starting the game and having something external to that scenario ruin my time with it would severely discourage me from loading up in the first place.

Surely the ideal solution here is a save on exit/minecraft etc. type save and a 'hardcore' mode for those that want it.

Maybe call it the Redshirt mode.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm

I know this is getting a lot of attention on GetSatisfaction, but I am totally for a "Save on Exit" functionality. The only loading that would have to be done would be when you start the game up; once you exit back to the menu you lose the game you have.

This seems to be the easiest thing to do, and as games are still fairly quick, you wouldn't have to worry about patches cutting into in-progress games (a problem which Gas Lamp Games, the developers of Dungeons of Dredmor, ran into when they released the first couple of patches).
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 pm

reverend wrote:If they're content that apparently quite a lot of people don't enjoy it... ;)

nice round number "a lot"

the problem with forum feedback is that often its the people with gripes that post and the one who have no issues don't bother so you get very one sided views that can be misconstrued as an overwhelming majority when in reality the actually numbers are a small percentage of the player base.

you be lucky to find 50 names in this thread for it and that is not a large percentage of the player base
Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 pm

The soloution to this is that there should be a vote on this for the kick-starter backers, or the beta testers. quite simply, 2 options. 1) no saves, or 2) save-on-exit-delete and continue saving. majority wins. simple. the sad thing is since the developers don't really seem keen on saving they are unlikely to do this. :cry:
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Paul wrote:The soloution to this is that there should be a vote on this for the kick-starter backers, or the beta testers. quite simply, 2 options. 1) no saves, or 2) save-on-exit-delete and continue saving. majority wins. simple. the sad thing is since the developers don't really seem keen on saving they are unlikely to do this. :cry:

and if the majority of people don't bother to vote then thats an your answer as well ;)
Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:46 pm

if the majority fail to vote, then they obviously don't care either way, or trust the people who do give a crap to choose well; if they've been offered to vote, they can't complain about the result if they don't. either way, the highest voted solution wins.
VladePsyker

Postby VladePsyker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:10 am

Paul wrote:if the majority fail to vote, then they obviously don't care either way, or trust the people who do give a crap to choose well; if they've been offered to vote, they can't complain about the result if they don't. either way, the highest voted solution wins.

If the majority fail to vote its an indication that the devs should spend their time on other things.

Here's an example
Your local council wants to build an arch over a road for atheistic value.

50'000 people can vote on it

1'300 voted for it
700 voted against it
the other 48'000 could care less and don't vote.

So do you build an arch ? no you look at things that the other 48'000 would care about
Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:47 am

VladePsyker wrote:Here's an example
Your local council wants to build an arch over a road for atheistic value.

50'000 people can vote on it

1'300 voted for it
700 voted against it
the other 48'000 could care less and don't vote.

So do you build an arch ? no you look at things that the other 48'000 would care about

On the contrary, saving in FTL isn't an aesthetic feature. supposing actually the arch was a bridge, not affecting the 48,000 people, but the 1300 people couldn't get to work without it, and the 700 people were trying to stop the 1300 people getting to work because they wanted their jobs. those 1300 people have the potential, by being the keenest members of the gaming community, the highest chance of recommending the game to friends, while the 700 people are trying to alienate the game for anything but people who can sit down for 2 hours plus on longer playthroughs. obviously saving may not affect some players, however, it won't affect them if they don't do it, plus there's cheats already if that's what they're afraid of. i'm very much for save-on-exit.