Suggestion: Armory

General discussion about the game.
Bomaz

Suggestion: Armory

Postby Bomaz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 am

The crew is clearly armed, I suggest an armory on the ship (or just a subsystem without its own room) so that one can upgrade the crew members close combat abilities for a more boarding focused game-play.

They could have armors, heavier weapons (more dmg) and even tools to disable enemy ship systems quicker.
praguepride

Re: Suggestion: Armory

Postby praguepride » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:00 pm

My understanding is that combat is being kept pretty basic at the moment.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:16 pm

You know, part of the reason I like working on FTL so much (and part of the reason it's so scary) is that there are so many directions we can take the game. It's almost limitless. A version of this armory idea was on the table already and has been filed away as "maybe would work" (along with oh-so-many ideas).
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 pm

I can imagine, you could even have a 'sick bay' the options are endless... I have wondering if the ships where only going to have one deck? maybe more?? :D

Stelly
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Stelly wrote:I can imagine, you could even have a 'sick bay' the options are endless... I have wondering if the ships where only going to have one deck? maybe more?? :D

Stelly

multi deck ships

You just blew my mind. However I would think that technically they rooms are already on mutliple floors but just layed out as it is ingame
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Niknaktom wrote:
Stelly wrote:I can imagine, you could even have a 'sick bay' the options are endless... I have wondering if the ships where only going to have one deck? maybe more?? :D

Stelly

multi deck ships

You just blew my mind. However I would think that technically they rooms are already on mutliple floors but just layed out as it is ingame

The thing about multiple decks would mean that you would need a way to get to them, like elavators or ladders in emergencies, say the power went out...you could knock out the power and then board on a different deck from the players crew take the ship over by segmenting it :D

Stelly
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Stelly wrote:
Niknaktom wrote:

Stelly

multi deck ships

The thing about multiple decks would mean that you would need a way to get to them, like elavators or ladders in emergencies, say the power went out...you could knock out the power and then board on a different deck from the players crew take the ship over by segmenting it :D

Stelly

Oh goodness, I really do enjoy FTL for its visual simplicity and multi-deck ships would really add significantly to the level (hah!) of detail that the player needs to manage. Now, if there were a cool way to seamlessly transition between the different decks or easily represent events occurring on other decks...
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm no programmer, but I would limit to 3 decks, Basement, Ground, and First floors... and at the bottom of the screen I would have B, G, F little buttons to transition between them all, and another for the enemy ship...the buttons would flash if events where occuring on other floors :D

Stelly
Bomaz

Postby Bomaz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Justin wrote:You know, part of the reason I like working on FTL so much (and part of the reason it's so scary) is that there are so many directions we can take the game. It's almost limitless. A version of this armory idea was on the table already and has been filed away as "maybe would work" (along with oh-so-many ideas).

Ok, nice to know.

Thanks