Suggestion: FTL!

General discussion about the game.
maddog750

Suggestion: FTL!

Postby maddog750 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Am I the only one that just wants them to finish the game their way? I like it the way that it is! :D
Lestibournes

Re: Suggestion: FTL!

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 am

I like it the way it is too! But I also love coming up with ideas of how to try to make things better. They can take the ideas they like that are feasible and implement those while ignoring the rest.
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:00 am

Its all about wanting to make something good even better. Granted not all ideas work out for the best...looking at you Crystal Pepsi, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:53 am

Lestibournes wrote:I like it the way it is too! But I also love coming up with ideas of how to try to make things better. They can take the ideas they like that are feasible and implement those while ignoring the rest.

Well that's just it. The game is going into beta within the month most likely. Alpha is when you add new features. Some of your suggestions would require an utter reworking of the very underlying concepts of the game itself. Frankly, EVE sounds like it would be right up your alley as it has most of the things you've suggested.
maddog750

Postby maddog750 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 am

I think a lot of the suggestions would make for fun games, but really, I like that FTL is straightforward and yet different every time. It has high replay-ability and doesn't require huge investment of time. The controls are intuitive and the mission straight-forward... I think the word I'm looking for is elegant. :D
maddog750

Postby maddog750 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:59 am

...Also, I'm so ready for it to come out, I can't hardly stand it. I've become a forum stalker. 8-)
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:15 am

Warbird wrote:
Lestibournes wrote:I like it the way it is too! But I also love coming up with ideas of how to try to make things better. They can take the ideas they like that are feasible and implement those while ignoring the rest.

Well that's just it. The game is going into beta within the month most likely. Alpha is when you add new features. Some of your suggestions would require an utter reworking of the very underlying concepts of the game itself. Frankly, EVE sounds like it would be right up your alley as it has most of the things you've suggested.

I'm sort of hoping they'd decide to go into a perpetual beta mode where they don't hesitate to add new features and change things around if it makes the game better, or that they make an FTL 2. And after FTL 2 make an FTL MMO. It's not like becoming an MMO would change the game all that much, especially if the focus is a good game rather than milking the players for cash. The main difference would be needing to keep things fresh for a long time, but that doesn't really affect gameplay, only story. IMO the best story for this kind of thing is one that emerges from the complexity of the game, in this case we could call it galactic politics.
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:24 am

So for the beta we'll be "content-complete" which means that ideally all features that require a lot of code are in the game. We can still easily add lots of small features during the beta like ships/weapons/events. If there's lots of time post bug-fixing we can consider adding some slightly larger features during the beta (like other subsystems?). If we're strapped for time, we'll focus on releasing the game in a timely manner and then impliment some of the best ideas post-release as free updates.

Of course this is just a loose plan, situations can change.

Lestibournes wrote:I'm sort of hoping they'd decide to go into a perpetual beta mode where they don't hesitate to add new features and change things around if it makes the game better, or that they make an FTL 2.

This sort of development model works for other devs (Mojang, some desura peeps), but we are doing our best to avoid it. The concept of feature creep makes us uncomfortable and the best changes to the game all have happened when we set concrete milestones. If we weren't willing to set hard dates for ourselves or cut (lots of) ideas, the game could easily become bloated or never get released.

Anyways, enough blablablaing.

TLDR: Discussing new ideas is great! We just won't be able to add crazy stuff like giant ships/multiplayer/MMO stuff :D
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 am

Justin wrote:So for the beta we'll be "content-complete" which means that ideally all features that require a lot of code are in the game. We can still easily add lots of small features during the beta like ships/weapons/events. If there's lots of time post bug-fixing we can consider adding some slightly larger features during the beta (like other subsystems?). If we're strapped for time, we'll focus on releasing the game in a timely manner and then impliment some of the best ideas post-release as free updates.

Of course this is just a loose plan, situations can change.

Lestibournes wrote:I'm sort of hoping they'd decide to go into a perpetual beta mode where they don't hesitate to add new features and change things around if it makes the game better, or that they make an FTL 2.

This sort of development model works for other devs (Mojang, some desura peeps), but we are doing our best to avoid it. The concept of feature creep makes us uncomfortable and the best changes to the game all have happened when we set concrete milestones. If we weren't willing to set hard dates for ourselves or cut (lots of) ideas, the game could easily become bloated or never get released.

Anyways, enough blablablaing.

TLDR: Discussing new ideas is great! We just won't be able to add crazy stuff like giant ships/multiplayer/MMO stuff :D

Then what about my suggestion regarding slaves? While it may be conceptually extreme, as games seem to want to avoid giving the player the option to own and use slaves, it should be technically simple. And what about the possibility of fighting more than one ship? Is that crazy big?
Wanderduene

Postby Wanderduene » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:26 am

Justin wrote:So for the beta we'll be "content-complete" which means that ideally all features that require a lot of code are in the game. We can still easily add lots of small features during the beta like ships/weapons/events. If there's lots of time post bug-fixing we can consider adding some slightly larger features during the beta (like other subsystems?). If we're strapped for time, we'll focus on releasing the game in a timely manner and then impliment some of the best ideas post-release as free updates.

Yay!!! :D