FTL Roguelite Review

General discussion about the game.
RoguelifeReviews

FTL Roguelite Review

Postby RoguelifeReviews » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Just trying to get my name out there a little bit,, and I figured people already familiar with FTL would have good feedback regarding a review of the game!

**NOTE** This is just a stub of my full review. The full review may be viewed on my website: http://www.roguelifereviews.com

FTL

FTL is a Roguelite, Real-Time Strategy game that drops you, a simple courier, into the dangerous world of space travel and internal strife. The data you carry is vital to the Federation fleet, but the Rebels are right on your tail the whole journey. Every beacon to which you jump is another opportunity for them to catch up to you, and never know who or what you might encounter in the depths of space...

Verdict
9/10 — A wonderful marriage of RTS and Roguelite, FTL can keep you occupied for a long time.

FTL is not a perfect game. It truly throws you into the deep end of the pool, and I can see how its difficulty and learning curve could easily turn people off of it. That being said, after you understand its mechanics and become proficient in multitasking, it is a blast to play over and over again. You feel a true sense of defeat when you lose, and it generally doesn't feel cheap since every alien vessel is subject to the same rule as you are. You will have runs where you struggle to even get enough fuel to make it through each sector, and others where you will feel like a god among space peasants. Either way, it's an enjoyable experience because you learn something new and find new strategies with every single playthrough. Your victories are hard-won, and you honestly feel connected to your crewmen because of their ability to specialize at each station. Losing Cremity or Narth or Jackson can be devastating, and replacing them with someone else comes with a loss of proficiency in that area of the ship, meaning the bonuses your actions receive are lessened.

The resource management in FTL is brutal, but not incomprehensible. The more runs you do, the better prioritization you develop. The option to play on Easy, Normal, or Hard gives you some flexibility whether you are a beginner or a seasoned FTL veteran, increasing its replay value even after you feel you've mastered the game on a lower difficulty. The amount of random events and their special options depending on the races of your crewmen, your stockpile of supplies, or the subsystems you have installed in your ship make each run unique, even if you do happen to encounter the same event. The variety available in FTL guarantees that you will never get bored or feel like you are retracing your steps over and over, and that, to me, is what really makes or breaks Roguelites. It is a worthy addition to your Steam library, and I absolutely recommend you purchase FTL and put some time into it!