Can't influence previous progress/saves

General discussion about the game.
Cronkonium

Can't influence previous progress/saves

Postby Cronkonium » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:18 pm

I have had Faster than Light on this laptop previously through a different launch server. However, I just grabbed the full game with advanced edition on Epic Games Last night for free during the Christmas Give-Away. After playing for hours then realising there was a problem I then constantly attempted to retest the game's ability to save with varying administrator privileges or verifying game cache, etc..

However, despite all of these things, I am unable to alter these two filed (the ae_prof & continue).

I even tried making a new folder after moving and even deleting the old one (deleting is just moving to the Recycle Bin however). But then no new files would be created on 'Verify' nor 'Reinstallation'.
isla

Re: Can't influence previous progress/saves

Postby isla » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:15 am

We've received a couple of reports of this over the last few days. Can you confirm that it is still happening as of the time of this (my) comment?
Cronkonium

Postby Cronkonium » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Yes, it consistently goes back to a 'Continue' (saved game) from years ago.
And any new achievements aren't saved to the ae_prof file - or at least aren't saved to the FasterThanLight achievements list.
isla

Postby isla » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:27 am

What antivirus program(s) are you using?
Cronkonium

Postby Cronkonium » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:29 pm

I had Malwarebytes installed before, but hadn't used it in a year or so. I tried deleting it, but perhaps I need to restart the computer and try the game again. As I just tried it after uninstalling and that did nothing to correct the problem.

The basic Windows Defender and all associated programming is on of course however.
Cronkonium

Postby Cronkonium » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 pm

I checked Read-Only before and it was definitely turned off for the FasterThanLight folder... Since I have tried the 'Delete It, Verify Game in Epic Games Launcher, etc.' it is on Read-Only... and it is unable to be permanently taken off of the Folder nor the Files within.

I had tried using the Command Prompt to alter the System Attributes for the Folder but despite my best effects a 'Syntax Error' is constantly propping up and I can't seem to figure out why.

If you could walk me through altering Permissions further on the folder or just altering the System Attributes for it, I can get rid of the Read-Only and test to see if it is finally able to be interacted with by the Faster Than Light Programme.
isla

Postby isla » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:29 am

To quickly do the standard Windows defender check:

1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center by clicking the shield icon in the task bar or searching the start menu for Defender.
2. Click the Virus & threat protection tile (or the shield icon on the left menu bar) and then click on "Virus & threat protection settings"
3. Under "Controlled Folder Access" set the switch to "Off" or Click on "Allow an app through Controlled folder access link." and add the game to the list of approved applications.

Please let me know if that makes a difference.
Cronkonium

Postby Cronkonium » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks thanks, it has worked for this game at least. Probably saved me a lot of bother in future also. ODD that it has only just happened now, and hasn't interfered with this nor other games earlier... Perhaps as per usual it's one of the things that gets flipped on and off by Windows/Microsoft during the Half-Year Updates.

But thanks again turning off the protected files worked to correct the problem immediately without having to change anything specific about the FasterThanLight Folder nor with respect to the FTL.exe!