Love to see a longer game

General discussion about the game.
digdug18

Love to see a longer game

Postby digdug18 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:49 am

I like the game, but wish it lasted hours.

This game reminds me alot of the origional Masters of Orion, I just wish it was longer like that game.

I want the sectors to be much bigger, and open ended. A goal is nice, but not really a must have. I don't really like the idea of being chased through the game as well.

Thoughts?

Andrew
StarWarsOZ

Re: Love to see a longer game

Postby StarWarsOZ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 am

digdug18 wrote:I like the game, but wish it lasted hours.

This game reminds me alot of the origional Masters of Orion, I just wish it was longer like that game.

I want the sectors to be much bigger, and open ended. A goal is nice, but not really a must have. I don't really like the idea of being chased through the game as well.

Thoughts?

Andrew

This has been brought up before, many people say they want an endless mode where there is no boss fight, u just keep going until u die.

But I think having the chase is a good thing, because otherwise u would be able to get so much scrap and stuff that u could upgrade your whole ship within the first couple of sectors, because there is nothing stopping u from exploring all the beacons.

I would support the idea of an endless mode, but the chase still needs to be there to make it work.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
digdug18

Postby digdug18 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:53 am

I disagree, I've played other space games that had endless modes, they had huge universes, big to take hours to explore.

Example, space rangers 2.
ruskie

Postby ruskie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:04 am

My own suggestion would be something akin to nethack. Basically have an explore mode where you have mini bosses and the final boss but be able to explore and backtrack without the rebel fleet trying to get you. Maybe as a prequel storyline where the final boss is basically getting the information and getting out. But more quests and possibly expand the ships available as well.

The rest of the stuff should be some set features(similar to nethack) whiri something specific is available somewhere. I.e. you stumble upon a rebel sector where most of the beacons are under the control of the rebels and you need to get out - maybe with a miniboss as you reach the exit. You should be able to backtrack as well though.

It would be a full campaign not just "endless" mode as such. And the ending would lead into the current campaign - i.e. you manage to transfer the data to the $next ship just as your old one gets hit by a rebel trap or something so only that ship alone needs to get going(and possibly pull the name and model randomly from your profile on what you already played through).
SushaBrancaleone

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm all for more content.

On the forums i have read different suggestions on regards.
-DLC's free or payed
-MMO version
- Sandbox version

I think this is because as the OP mentioned there isn't much content atm. I seem to have read the sandbox "proposal" on thread started by Matthew or Justin a bit before release.

It seems the most sensible, easy and fastest to achieve.

The game already is capable of randomizing maps, so creating a sandbox version of the game (already described above by some2 in this forum) shouldn't be that time consuming, in fact i may be wrong but that conversation i mentioned made it seem like there was an intention on releasing a sandbox version of the game at launch but that this hadn't happened.

Lets put it this way, I see the current version as a Campaign mode. That same content should be available to explore outside the campaign.

I. if i may add my suggestion, feel there should be some more spice added to the sandbox mode, some more content to unlock for example. Im sure well get new ships eventually, and the MOD comunity is already making some, but, (and i made a thread about this) i think we should be able to "unlock" or find hero units, similarly to the slug you can rescure from a moon. Id love to have for example a red crystal man with some mixed ability or something.

ciao
tungsten_is_money

Postby tungsten_is_money » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Unless it's something like sandbox mode or no rebel chase mode etc I hope the devs spend their time on paid DLC or FTL2 etc to address this, the game is awesome, I would be glad to pay 3 times the price for this.
ruskie

Postby ruskie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

I'd pay for my idea... another $10 or so for the DLC.
UberFubarius

Postby UberFubarius » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Perhaps part of modding support can include a way to mod a different type of "Endless" games?

Drivers:
1. Hostile Fleet: You're escaping from a hostile Rebel/Rock/Mantis/Engie/Zoltan etc fleet, carrying the last remnant data pertaining your dying civilization. Your goal is to travel as many sectors as possible, hiding those data on the way in the hope that your civilization will leave their mark.

Essentially, this is identical to the default story line, minus the end boss. Or perhaps you can have a few mini bosses along the way?

2. Escape Nova: The end of the universe is coming. A star had gone super-nova, triggering the other stars to do so likewise. You heard of possible salvation at the edge of the universe, and true or not, you'll try to run as far as possible.

Again, somewhat similar to the rebel fleet idea, except that instead of fighting an enemy when you get "caught", all affected star system became a souped up solar flare hazard (solar flare frequency is a bit higher).

3. Keep Away: You managed to stole some super-weapon from an "enemy". You cannot destroy it, so now your only choice is to keep it away from them for as long as possible.

Similar to the boss fight where there's a boss ship, except now the boss ship will try to path toward you (same speed as boss ship, namely a jump every other turn). The boss ship can do any of the following to a sector they pass.
1. Nothing.
2. Destroy everything (if there's a shop, no more shop).
3. Turn area into a hazard. Asteroid field (boss ship destroy the planet in its way), solar flare (destroyed the star).
Once encountered, you'll have to fight the boss (or wait for your FTL to recharge so you can run away). "Destroying" the boss cause it to "warp" into subspace, and effectively disappear from the game for a few turns before "respawning" at the star it was at.

Sector Ramp-up:
To keep the game from turning into a "get everything and steamroll everyone else", a few "ramp up" in difficulty per sector could make the game "limited" in terms of how far you can go before you ran out of resource.
1. Enemy Difficulty: Already in existing game, it just mean the enemy will not have an upper limit on how difficult their ship could be. Although within reason (non-boss enemy shouldn't have way more than 8 weapon system power, for example).
2. Shop Price: Shop price can increase as you travel further and further, it could reach the point where you will have to rely on destroying/capture enemy ship to replenish your fuel/missiles/drones. Even if you reach the point of self-sufficiency (hull repair with drone, or repair arm, for example), the ramping shop cost means that mistakes (wasting fuel, missile, drone and hull that cannot be repaired quickly) will be more costly.
3. Sector Toll Guard: Upon reaching the exit of a sector, you'll have to pay the guard to pass to get to the next sector, with scrap cost increasing with each sector. Failing that, you can always fight a tougher than normal enemy for that sector to access the exit beacon.
Mottikhan

Postby Mottikhan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Pretty good ideas. I'd also like to see a more epic game, but not as a mod or update to the original FTL. Perhaps a sequel would work. I'd like to see the original remain and become the classic that any sequels are rooted in.

It's not broken, so don't fix it. But a new and improved version is a nice thought. I'd easily pay $20.00 for the next iteration based on my enjoyment from the original.
Aerowind

Postby Aerowind » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:18 pm

I'd say keep the advancing fleet and put a boss on every sector node. The fleet keeps you from grinding it out in Sector 1 so much you steamroll everything, so I feel it's a necessary part of the game to keep the difficulty up. Other than that, just keep increasing the difficulty every sector until you have no option but to fail because you can no longer upgrade your ship.

Granted, that might make boarding a bit too powerful end game.