Roguelike?

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Re: Roguelike?

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 pm

rougelike-like is part of the official description. FTL makes no claim to being rougelike.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
jamotide

Postby jamotide » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 am

Exactly, it is not roguelike, it just has some elements of rogue games. But so has any other strategy game, when you play badly in Imperialism,Jagged Alliance or Civilization, you will lose, reloading wont help much and you would not complain about that "permadeath". Those games even generate random maps. They have lots of randomness. Would anyone call them roguelike?
To me its just another strategy game, but its easier not to abuse save n load.
OmegaJasam

Postby OmegaJasam » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 am

This is most definatly a rougelike. It's not 'nearly identical to rouge' but the genre has expanded enough by this point.

Most rougelikes don't have all the elements needed tpo begin with. The mystery dungeon series often have non-fatal death peneltys for example. But the core of what makes rougelikes rouglelikes is here. I just happens to be a space combat sim instead of a fantasy rpg for what it is paired with.

I would call Rouge a rougelike/fanstasy-rpg at this point. Sprelunky a rougelike/platformer. It's a large genre now, theres no poin saying 'it's not exactly like rouge'. Frnakly the use of the term has evolved to the point that mor epeople know the term rougelike then know what rouge /is/

Diablo 1/2 arn't rougelikes unless you play them in hardcore mode. If we did this for FPS, it would be like saying CoD isn't a FPS due to regenerating health and no pickups, because the first FPS had them.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm

As I said in my big-initial-answer-copied-from-another-forum, I think many aspect of FTL are rogue-like, but there is one key difference: combat.

In most roguelikes, enemies live and move on the map as you do, you have to engage several of them at the same time, you have to use 2D tactics (retreat, separate enemy from his allies, etc.), you can engage enemies from different distances, you can sneak around problems.

In FTL, enemies only exist during an event (except in the last sector), there is no combat movement apart from boarding, and the fight skill is in weapon timing and crew management. I like all that, but this is very distinct from a rogue-like.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.