New Contents Result from massive KickStarter Support ??

General discussion about the game.
samseng813

New Contents Result from massive KickStarter Support ??

Postby samseng813 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 am

Dear Developer,

Many other video games in KickStarter have a milestone to add new contents base on amount of support. Example like GrimDawn will add massive amount of contents for reaching 450K of funding.

Since FTL achieved 2000%, will the developer team add more contents to reward the supporter?

Thanks
Warbird

Re: New Contents Result from massive KickStarter Support ??

Postby Warbird » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:19 am

From the Kickstarter update a couple of days ago:

"However, the overwhelming success of the Kickstarter has also increased our workload substantially. For what is currently a two man team, we're doing our absolute best to stay on target with the release dates (still trying to figure out how to add the 8th day to our work week), but in a worst case scenario delays are possible. We'll do everything in our power to avoid it, but we hope you'll understand if it does happen."

They go on to mention several of the other things they're adding to the game such as other ships and player ship customization. Given what I've read, and this is speculation only, more content will be added to the game that organically planed, but right now the sole focus is nailing things down for the upcoming beta and release in August. We could possibly see some post release stuff though.

Keep in mind that good amount amount of the income is going to go to the production and shipping of posters for awards (which they were incredibly smart to price high and limit the amount) and to the cuts that Kickstarter and Amazon take. Plus, the income is a taxable amount, but since they're China based, I don't know how/if that will play into things. To put if mildly, they have a fair amount less than what they actually got from the funding. We can expect a little extra, but I wouldn't hope for anything too massive.
chanman

Postby chanman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 am

I think an idea for future indie kickstarters thinking about posters would be to charge less and make the appropriately sized print-ready image available for the backer to take to their own local print shops. You have to charge less, but it simplifies the logistics greatly.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Guys,

Dont forget that this is a 2 man team doing everything possible to create the game that we all contributed too, now I dont speak for Subset but dont get your hopes up too much the 200k plus that was raised was for the origianal game and just treat anything extra as a bonus... both Justin and Matt are working a 7 day week to get this game out and the beta out on time... I would be happy with the original game when they can get it out.

Stelly
Samson

Postby Samson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm not worried. The upside of the good chunk of change they received is that they can probably aford keep working on the game well after it released regardless of it's comercial sucess. As Warbird said, bet on eventual post release content. Still chompin' at the bit for the Beta release. First they get you hooked and then they take it away.
samseng813

Postby samseng813 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 am

Appreciated for the replies.
Keep up the good work development team.
Good phrase from China "A good start is already half of success !"