Tier List?

General discussion about the game.
Valce

Tier List?

Postby Valce » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi, I read there are many threads where players express their opinions on ships (like "What's the best/worst Ship?"), but no true TIER LIST THREAD.

I know it's early and everyone's contribution is going to be partial at best, but I think we could start a discussion about this.

So, let me start ranking ships into tiers: I'm only going to list the ships I played the most, so it's going to have more than a few empty slots.

Ships are judged on two factors (from 1 to 10):
Potential - How powerful the ship in question can potentially become
Likelihood of Success - How likely it is that said ship is going to beat the game. This is the most important stat of the two

I think these are the only relevant factors on which a ship should be judged in this game.

Here's the list:

SS Tier:
- Crystal B (Potential: 10. Success Chance: 9)

S Tier:
- Crystal A (Potential: 9. Success Chance: 8)
- Rock A (Potential: 7. Success Chance: 9)

A Tier:
- Fed A (Potential: 8. Success Chance: 7)
- Stealth A (Potential: 8. Success Chance: 7)
- Kestrel B (Potential: 6. Success Chance: 9)

B Tier:
- Kestrel A (Potential: 6. Success Chance: 8)
- Fed B (Potential: 7. Success Chance: 7)

C Tier:
- Engi A (Potential: 6. Success Chance: 6)

D Tier:
Empty (for now)

E Tier:
Empty (for now)

F Tier:
Empty (for now)

Ships I can't judge because I lack experience with them:
- Mantis A
- Mantis B
- Zoltan A
- Zoltan B
- Slug A
- Slug B
- Stealth B
Moosicorn

Re: Tier List?

Postby Moosicorn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:11 pm

I don't think you can really rank the ships you can judge them, but everyone's play style is differnt for example I think the engi crusier is one of the best.
JHawkInc

Postby JHawkInc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Moosicorn wrote:I don't think you can really rank the ships you can judge them, but everyone's play style is differnt for example I think the engi crusier is one of the best.

Agreed. A tier list is at best an artificial hierarchy. It becomes completely irrelevant once someone starts playing the game, based on that person's individual play style. Given the randomness of this game, you could have better runs with a "worst ship" than you could with a "best ship", which I think would make tier lists irrelevant due to the game type itself, as well.

Also, tier lists inevitably create arguments, and help establish a group of people that will judge everyone else by how they play the game. I'd rather avoid that, if at all possible. Or at least not encourage it.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:24 pm

I first beat the game with the Engi cruiser, I find the Federation and Zoltan ships better than the Crystal, and I find the Stealth cruiser completely unusable. So, erm, let it suffice to say ratings like this are extremely subjective.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.