PvP Mode? :P

General discussion about the game.
videogamer321

PvP Mode? :P

Postby videogamer321 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 am

I know it's a bit ridiculous, but I think it would be fun to have PvP duels in FTL, depending on how complex the metagame for FTL is once it comes out.

I don't think that it would be difficult to build in, but, I'm not the one building a videogame here.

As far as you know.

Oh well.
Snake Plissken

Re: PvP Mode? :P

Postby Snake Plissken » Fri May 25, 2012 4:13 am

Yea someone else had said this a while back and I think It was shot down. I think multiplayer (any meaningful one) needs to be a consideration from day 1.
salbris

Postby salbris » Tue May 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Snake Plissken wrote:Yea someone else had said this a while back and I think It was shot down. I think multiplayer (any meaningful one) needs to be a consideration from day 1.

I don't think the idea was official shot down yet.
I was the last person to post in the last thread about it and I was agreeing with someone else who wanted to see it in the game: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146#p950

Imho, this game would work perfectly with a duel mode. Give players a bit of choices for crew and modules, give them some cash to upgrade and just let them go at it. As a game programmer I think I can safetly say this isn't a big task. Balancing it might be a bit of a problem. The game is already built on duel battles.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Netcode alone would be a massive endeavor for such a small team, and local co-op is pointless on PC these days.
CEO

Postby CEO » Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't know that PvP would add enough to be worth the effort at this stage. I think those of us who are interested in the game have been interested in the core gameplay experience, while PvP could probably be put on a "neat idea for an expansion" list.

I know that I personally would never use it. The question then becomes: Would PvP attrach enough new gamers (buyers) to be worth the time and effort to implement it? Considering you already have a fan base that came onboard without the expectation of PvP, it would be a tough question to awnser.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Wed May 30, 2012 8:12 pm

My post about the idea of Arenas was just my thoughts on getting the wonderfully streamlined combat mechanics of FTL into a multiplayer context. After a few weeks of thinking about it though, it doesn't make as much sense as it used to. FTL, like any great spaceship combat simulator, has periods of manic-paced action followed by extended lulls of waiting for weapons to recharge. FTL is not, and shouldn't be, a time-paced click-fest. That's why we have the pause function.

Making a multiplayer game based around how best to handle a pause function is not a fun idea.
ThePsuedoMonkey

Postby ThePsuedoMonkey » Thu May 31, 2012 3:55 am

Darthcaboose wrote:Making a multiplayer game based around how best to handle a pause function is not a fun idea.

My thoughts exactly. Remember multiplayer on "Baldur's Gate"? It'd be like that, except without the fun of exploring the game together. And while I rather enjoyed BG on both multi- and single-player, I'm kind of dying to get to play this game. Especially since I only found out about it through Cracked.com, not long after the kickstarter ended. I would love added multiplayer functionality (e.g. PvP, co-op, counter-op), but I already have to wait until August (or is it October now?) for version 1.0, so I'd prefer not to add the additional work just yet.