General discussion about the game.
timmyisme22

Re: Beta Release Discussion

Postby timmyisme22 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 am

Suffice to say, it's STILL bloody fun.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:19 am

Silemess wrote:Well, I seem to be among the few to cry in a different direction. No key e-mailed! *cry!* Yes, beta-level at KS. No sign in the spam filter of an e-mail.

Excuse me now while I cry in the corner until I build enough will power to force the email to arrive.

Email Justin with the email account you regestered with Kickstarter.
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 am

Seems like the ion guns might be a little overpowered. With an array of them I was able to easily go through most of the game by continuously hitting their weapons systems.
ezryder

Postby ezryder » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:33 pm

The trade off is you sacrifice damage potential. Having blaster I or heavy laser I in those slots instead will drop shields and wipe out the weapon systems instead of just disable it. Using ion canons makes the fights last longer, which gives the enemy ship a chance to jump away, or in hostile areas (asteroid field or solar flares) your ship taking more damage.

The only thing that keeps missiles from being overpowered (imho) is their ammo requirement and slow rate of fire. Missiles ignore shields and can take out a shield system in one or 2 shots. The only defense vs missiles is either a defensive drone or really high evasion (engines and piloting).
aviphysics

Postby aviphysics » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Once I got 3 ion cannons, I didn't have any trouble at all keeping their weapons system down as well as engines. I also had a couple of attack drones that finished off the enemy in pretty short order. When I switched two of my ion canons for some high damage weapons, I stopped doing nearly as well.

I agree that the cost benefit of missiles keeps them in check
take

Postby take » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm

even more ruthless; you don't even get to fight the main enemy ship if it reaches your fleet, you just fail outright. oops.

praguepride

Postby praguepride » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 pm

That hit me by surprise as well!
Mondy

Postby Mondy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:58 am

spindown wrote:I'm trying to play the beta right now, but the game is running very poorly. Performance is sluggish and mouse movement, even in the menus, is choppy. My hardware should be good enough to handle FTL. I think it's some kind of software problem as I've had the same kind of problems in another game (SpaceChem). Any ideas what I should do?

I had the same issue. I resolved it by updating to the latest stable drivers from my ATI HD 6970 from the ATI website. Im not sure if its required but uninstall your old drivers first.

Good luck.
Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Mondy wrote: Im not sure if its required but uninstall your old drivers first

Not really on topic but BE CAREFUL! i once reinstalled my drivers and accidentally uninstalled the Ethernet port drivers, made by nvidia. of course, i couldn't just go on the internet and re-download them.....
spindown

Postby spindown » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:09 am

Mondy wrote:
spindown wrote:I'm trying to play the beta right now, but the game is running very poorly. Performance is sluggish and mouse movement, even in the menus, is choppy. My hardware should be good enough to handle FTL. I think it's some kind of software problem as I've had the same kind of problems in another game (SpaceChem). Any ideas what I should do?

I had the same issue. I resolved it by updating to the latest stable drivers from my ATI HD 6970 from the ATI website. Im not sure if its required but uninstall your old drivers first.

Good luck.

Thank you. A complete reinstallation of my graphics drivers solved the problem for me.