Beta Release Discussion

General discussion about the game.
Spartan1608

More money=Later release date

Postby Spartan1608 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:15 am

"it's likely that the beta won't be able to start in May. Your overwhelming donations has meant that we were able to expand our goals for FTL, making it bigger and better in almost every way. However, that also means it will take more time to prepare"

I wasn't aware that {more money = longer preparation time}. If I knew before hand that giving you money made you create a later release date I wouldn't have donated.

Ps. You probably could have worded that differently.
Warbird

Re: More money=Later release date

Postby Warbird » Fri May 04, 2012 6:39 am

Your logic isn't quite valid. More money in this case does equal more time, but there is a good reason why. Due to the extra money, they are expanding the game by, according to their phrasing, a great deal. Because of this, the BETA (not the final product) is being delayed. The final release may be delayed too, but there has been no confirmation of that. So: More money = More Features = More Time.

However, I do feel your pain. It's my personal opinion that the game should be put into beta status "as is" assuming that it is in a playable state. However, the devs do not seem keen on this concept for reasons that have yet to be revealed. So just relax a bit and enjoy the forums. I'm sure we'll be getting additional info shortly.
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 am

I would guess from their announcements and what they are discussing in videos etc is that the more money has given them the finding they need to make the storyline campaign the focus of the game instead of the roguelike survival part we played during OnLive.

Previously they have said they were 'thinking' of adding a storyline into the game. Now they have said they are completely seperate and the storyline campaign will be the main aspect of the game with survival a seperate more fun mode.

Anyway this would explain the longer time before the beta because the beta will i imagine be looking to test the main campaign predominantly and the balance of the ships within that.
Personally I am happy to wait, this game is well worth the money and I would rather wait a little longer for a more complete and well made game than get something in May thats not so good and missing features they want to include.

Ideally they will want to simply balance the game during beta not add new feature.
Also the May beta was an estimate only so i dont think people should get upset by a small delay.
Bedshaped

Postby Bedshaped » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am

It's more likely that they were just being hopefully when they said May. Nothing wrong with being overly optimistic about a release time.
dicesquirrel

Postby dicesquirrel » Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Spartan1608 wrote:"it's likely that the beta won't be able to start in May. Your overwhelming donations has meant that we were able to expand our goals for FTL, making it bigger and better in almost every way. However, that also means it will take more time to prepare"

I wasn't aware that {more money = longer preparation time}. If I knew before hand that giving you money made you create a later release date I wouldn't have donated.

Hi hater.

Bye hater.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey,

Honestly I know that both Justin and Matt are working their arse off trying to get the beta out on time, and I can imagine that any slippage on the beta release date is something that they have done with deep regret but would only do it because the game is not ready even for a beta release.

I for one would have contributed even if a release date for the beta or final release date was not specified, I trust them both, and from the videos and art work that they have put up that I know that they are going to produce a game of a high quality and also very very finished which I can't say for alot of titles these days which includes the train wreak of a release for Sword of the stars 2!

Stelly
CEO

Postby CEO » Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 pm

You can always give his money back and let me replace it. I'm still waiting on the opportunity to get in on the Kickstarter i missed ... :mrgreen:
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Stelly wrote: Sword of the stars 2!

Stelly

Don't speak the name of the forsaken one! Are you trying to jinx us?!
Samson

Postby Samson » Fri May 04, 2012 2:03 pm

I can't say that I'm not a little dissapointed that it's going to be longer for the beta release but I don't doubt they have their reasons. I get that they don't want to release a buggy broken mess for general consupmtion. I doubt the few dozen of us that troll the forums would mind but the few hundred other backers with access to the beta might.

Word of mouth is a surprsingly powerful method of advertizing, I think they want to wow us first.
Towser

Postby Towser » Fri May 04, 2012 4:35 pm

CEO wrote:You can always give his money back and let me replace it. I'm still waiting on the opportunity to get in on the Kickstarter i missed ... :mrgreen:

^
When I heard this game existed, the Kickstarter was already well underway. I went (and begrudgingly) downloaded Onlive just to play it. Realized I would love to play it through the alpha but it was already too late for me because :

*Not enough time was left for me to clear e-money*
I had to re-link bank accounts (3-5 days)... and wait for the funds to be available because of the process time (5-8 days)... Of course that didn't include weekends. Wasted time. Wasted opportunity.

Spartan1608 wrote:I wasn't aware that {more money = longer preparation time}. If I knew before hand that giving you money made you create a later release date I wouldn't have donated.

Now I'm not complaining, it sucks to be locked out and I'd love to have access to the alpha, but hey if I gotta wait it's nobody's fault but mine (useless to blame banks, it's not like they ever improve). But at least YOU'll get to play the new build, Spartan. The thing is, complaining the demo will arrive later because they had more money is like complaining that they are replying about a delay at all (or complaining about their choice of words) : at least they took the time to give us a heads up. There can be sooo many reasons to delay a game. It could be that they are out of funding, or that they got their computers stolen. I'd rather rejoice to think there's a delay because they got more cash.

Seeing as how this is grounds for a complaint for you, do you really expect us to believe you would have rather have no info about when to expect the next build at all? Or that you would rather get a broken demo? Would you rather they start turning down money so you can get the demo earlier?

Hell like I said I don't have access to it since the Onlive events ended, but if the game gets better and deeper I can wait as many months as it takes. I'm also willing to bet that a lot of the people who liked what they saw in the Onlive demo want FTL to become all it can be.