Beta Release Discussion

General discussion about the game.
Towser

Re: More money=Later release date

Postby Towser » Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Warbird wrote:I was referring to Mr. Towser in my above post.

I just hope that was meant as a compliment... :p
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Sat May 05, 2012 12:45 am

veryalien wrote:Please consider releasing a beta ASAP to those of us who paid to test out beta.

Just release what you have and let us give you feedback.

I think that they both realise and that is why they are both working all the hours they can to get the beta out, I know how time lines can slip its not something they do out of personal gain, but something that happens when they are trying to make the best possible game they can now that they have the funding....

Now this does not reflect on the dev team, but I think that when they made the promise of this month they had no idea of the possibilities that were open to them with regards to funding, I dont think that anyone could have predicted the response, but now they have the funding they want to make a better game and me for one says, go for it lads, take your time and give me more then what I have paid for :D

Stelly
fallout

Postby fallout » Sat May 05, 2012 1:01 am

This recent uptake in Kickstarter has convinced me that most people do not understand the economics of video game development.
irongamer

Postby irongamer » Sat May 05, 2012 1:14 am

fallout wrote:This recent uptake in Kickstarter has convinced me that most people do not understand the economics of video game development.

Yeah, I wonder how those that funded Wasteland 2 will hold out, 13+ months away. The FTL community has it easy in that respect as they already had enough built for a demo. Development had already been taking place.

PS

I'm did help fund Wasteland 2.
Samson

Postby Samson » Sat May 05, 2012 4:35 am

It's just hard on people who are used to instant gratification. They usually put down their $60 (or whatever) and get their game and go home. Normal pre-orders don't take place until about 2 months before the actual release date. That's the most people are used to (the never ending dev of Duke Nukem Forever doesn't count). Having to wait 4 month (let alone the 18 or so for Wasteland 2) just gets people a little on edge.

Don't get me wrong, I want to play FTL right now if I could, but I know they are making the game as quickly as humanly possible. This is also their first game, and they got a shit tonne of people watching them, so they want it to be good.
take

Postby take » Sat May 05, 2012 5:01 am

veryalien wrote:It's not a false sense of entitlement when people paid specifically to test out the game. If you don't want to play an incomplete beta, that's fine. Some of us paid so we could offer our feedback after we did.

you paid to test the beta when it's ready, not anything before it.
Spartan1608

Postby Spartan1608 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:05 am

take wrote:
veryalien wrote:It's not a false sense of entitlement when people paid specifically to test out the game. If you don't want to play an incomplete beta, that's fine. Some of us paid so we could offer our feedback after we did.

you paid to test the beta when it's ready, not anything before it.

Some could argue that the buyer was misinformed about his/her purchase being available in May. I'm not really trolling or mad. I just thought it was a bit of a slap in the face when I got an email saying that since they got +%2,000 Percent of their goal which then means they have to push the beta date.
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Sat May 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Yea its a real shame they got all this extra money, meaning they could add some really cool stuff that they might not have been able to before. I wish they only got the 10,000 so I would have the beta that I totally paid for and deserve right now, instead of having to wait because they wanna make their game or awesome or shit like that JEEZ its total bullshit.

/Sarcasm
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Sat May 05, 2012 1:38 pm

You never remember the extra two weeks it took for a developer to release a game. What you do remember is how good the game is, and that can last you years or decades even!

So don't worry about the devs, let them buff this thing up well!
CEO

Postby CEO » Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Warbird wrote:I play dwarf fortress for fun. Fun. I enjoy being punished for things I didn't even do. I'm perfectly happy to play an incomplete Alpha (or in this case beta) that is filled with bugs. Bugs that can be fixed, will be fixed. Bugs that cannot become features.

Hah! I've restarted my most recent fortress 4 times looking for damn coal. Just a thought about DF (OT, but i'm good at that) ... but if we are dwarves, isnt there a good chance that one of my stone-lovers would know enough about geology that he could tell me on the embark screen if there is coal?! /rant

I'm also a member of the "let the community play during some stages of development to tell you what they like/don't like" crew. It worked out well for SPAZ and i think it is working well for TOWNS as well. Its neat to see the devs make adjustments to the plans when they realize that the community really doesnt care about feature "X" much, but now "Y" that would be awesome!1! I think it makes for better games (and on another side note, if any of the developers of the last 50 XCOM clones had done that we might have had a decent sequel by now).

Then again, i missed the kickstarter anyway, and the devs seem to have no interest in relieving me of my $$ at this time, so I'll be waiting a few months longer to get my grubby mitts on this game! :)