Beta Release Discussion

General discussion about the game.
Gimboid

Re: Beta Release Discussion

Postby Gimboid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Senex wrote:You're really not going to let anyone buy the game until the fall?

Say goodbye to a huge chunk of your profits when this game is up on Bitgamer in 48 hours.

What a bunch of idiots.

1) They got 200k from Kickstarter, a chunk of that can be considered profit (think of it this way, with two guys, they have a good year plus salary each along with all the development costs)

2) They're developers, they aren't making this game for profit, they are making this game because they had an idea for a game they wanted to play and they are getting a chance to fill out that dream (which, is awesome)

I'm sure once they have an idea of when they can release, you'll be able to pre-order it on steam.
soratidus999

Postby soratidus999 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 am

Quite frankly I'm sick of people complaining about pirates

The people that pirate the game aren't going to buy it REGARDLESS

If they can't pirate it they will play something else

A pirate is not a lost sale - infact often it's good advertising between friends and often - as I did with torchlight 2 another sale when people realise how good the game is

Take for example mass effect 3 - I will not give EA money ... Ever (well I try not to) if i go get it off the Internet EA HAVE NOT LOST ANYTHING

/rant
USAgent

Postby USAgent » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 pm

The argument about pirating is pointless, keep the name calling to yourself, final warning. People donated to get access, when the game is live you have a choice to purchase or not. I guess the developers of Guild Wars 2 are idiots too since I'm sure people are willing to pay for their product now but they won't release the product to them just yet...
Be excellent to each other.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:37 pm

I agree with USAgent, come on guys we are pretty easy going here but please less of the calling.

Stelly
take

Postby take » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:51 pm

totally ruthless difficulty, even on the easy setting.

that said, i'm loving being able to play without the onlive lag. tinkered around with different strategies and unlocked another ship. more impressions coming after i spend some more time with it, but pretty awesome so far. i made it to the final enemy ship but failed on the 'second wave' after i kicked it's ass the first time. it ran away and went back to full health with about 12 drones:

Wintersong

Postby Wintersong » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:10 pm

take wrote:totally ruthless difficulty, even on the easy setting.

that said, i'm loving being able to play without the onlive lag. tinkered around with different strategies and unlocked another ship. more impressions coming after i spend some more time with it, but pretty awesome so far.

I have played three games so far. The word "awesome" is not enough. I have only played in Easy because of the "know the stuff" first. And altough combat may be easier, the rest is still challenging (which is good).

First game? Dead by lack of fuel. Being a good samaritan and giving other people fuel? No!!! Stores are not so common! Ended using the distress beacon in the second sector, was finally matched by the rebels and after some dogfighting the lack of fuel was the end.

Second game? I meet Chuck Norris on my second jump in first sector. Or seemed like him because the ship obliterated my basic ship in no time. :lol: Go easy, go!

Third game? Learned the huge value of missiles, the impact of getting extra crew members, how dangerous a squad of mantis warriors aboard is, Pegasus ftw,... And selected the green sector whenever possible. :oops: It was awesome the whole learning process. Despite doing it quite well, I died to the big boy.
:mrgreen:

Still find difficult to use properly the Stealth mode and it was nice to unlock a ship by visiting an alien sector. :D

This game in Normal must kick ass and take names.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:21 pm

In true Rougelike fashion, it takes no qualms of bending you over the most readily available table and having its way with you. You're going to start the game screwed sometimes, that's just the normal state of affairs.
burningmercury

Postby burningmercury » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:26 pm

the torus with its ion blasters is fantastic to use, i managed to get to the final stage but finally ran out of fuel but it was a hell of a ride
spindown

Postby spindown » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm trying to play the beta right now, but the game is running very poorly. Performance is sluggish and mouse movement, even in the menus, is choppy. My hardware should be good enough to handle FTL. I think it's some kind of software problem as I've had the same kind of problems in another game (SpaceChem). Any ideas what I should do?
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Make a bug report over at https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame is all I can recommend.