Re: More money=Later release date

Postby Niknaktom » Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm

You're only 9 years old can't expect much for someone so young
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Niknaktom wrote:You're only 9 years old can't expect much for someone so young

Hahaha I don't even register numbers after names anymore so this turned my face into :?:
jocan2003

Postby jocan2003 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am

Errr.... I started using 2003 when i started using username over the internet, i always had different one one day i said F.it ill pick on and stick with it, thats basicly what i did, since 2003 im always using the same one, also in fact im 26, father of a little girl 15 month old, my little princess. Also if you want to know more about me

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27&p=230#p230

Watch out its a frigging wall of text.
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 pm

jocan2003 wrote:Errr.... I started using 2003 when i started using username over the internet, i always had different one one day i said F.it ill pick on and stick with it, thats basicly what i did, since 2003 im always using the same one, also in fact im 26, father of a little girl 15 month old, my little princess. Also if you want to know more about me

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27&p=230#p230

Watch out its a frigging wall of text.

It was a joke by the way, because most people put their year of birth at the end of their username. I assumed you werent actually nine years old, having backed something for 25 bucks or more and typing on the internet in a normal fashion. I also thought telling people to "STFU" abouting saying GIVE MEH BETA NOW!!11! was a fair thing to say. not excatly that offending.
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Silemess

Postby Silemess » Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm

I am all for the devs spending a some more time investing in the game to make it bigger and better. Several earlier comments have already made the point, they're making the game better! Waiting a little longer for a game that will have significantly longer replay-ability? Oh yeah, I think I can revise how long I can wait.

However, I suspect that the other view of things comes from people in one of two camps. Either the "It was playable then, let me at it now while you're working on the next version" or they're the "I _was_ patient. Now it's been bumped back, why should I keep being patient?"

Since they're making the game better, they already know where there's a bug or a huge problem that needs to be tackled. They don't want people playing the game as an alpha and then flooding the forums with problems they already know about and intend to fix (or side step entirely by just rewriting that entire section of code with their new expansion plans). As for the "it's time, it's time!" crowd, there's still an awful lot of May left. Cheer the devs on, talk with others on here about what part of the game sucked you in, and then what your imagination supplied about the game that you'd like to see come to fruition. Now's the ideal time to make those proposals and ideas, while they're busy making the game that ideal that they've got in their minds.

Meanwhile, I can be patient. It saves the lives of my crewmen who have yet to be randomly generated. Remember, we don't have enough damage control personnel on the forums to put out the fires. I'd hate to lose the ship so early on.
jocan2003

Postby jocan2003 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Silemess wrote:However, I suspect that the other view of things comes from people in one of two camps. Either the "It was playable then, let me at it now while you're working on the next version" or they're the "I _was_ patient. Now it's been bumped back, why should I keep being patient?"

Thats double blade, because if they do that, somebody will come bugging the forum saying THIS BUG IS GAMEBREAKING FIX MAH GAME I PAID FOR IT!! Or Release next version already! or When is it coming?. Its better the way it is right now, Anyway Diablo 3 coming in a few day... maybe they will be busy enough for a while haha. I know I will.
rendezvous

Postby rendezvous » Fri May 11, 2012 4:51 am

Spartan1608 wrote:I wasn't aware that {more money = longer preparation time}. If I knew before hand that giving you money made you create a later release date I wouldn't have donated.

Ps. You probably could have worded that differently.

hehe, I can see why this seems weird. :lol:
But it means the devs will be able to add more of the stuff we're asking for, so it's good. We just need to be patient.
DukeofClubs

Letter to the dev team

Postby DukeofClubs » Mon May 21, 2012 5:13 am

I want to first say that you are making a fantastic game and that your alpha was really enjoyable to play. I am the you are great guys and this will sound a little harsh, but hear me out.

I registered on this forum specifically to say I am disappointed thought with the direction this development is going. It exemplifies the whole problem with kickstarter. There is no method of holding the developers accountable to the funding parties. It is like investing in the stock market except you buy in at a fixed value, don't own any part of the venture, and have no voting rights. All one can do is hope that the dev team is trustworthy enough to meet goals that they themselves set. Of course all backers agreed to this when we chose to give funding, but it doesn't make the relationship any more equitable. Unlike the stock market, backers get no share of the earnings and cant sell their investments thereby limiting the resources available to the devs. The devs have no incentive to be accountable. This is the problem with Star Command and is quickly becoming a problem with this game.

FTL is backed 2005%. That is a vast amount of funding. Far more than enough to accomplish all of the goals that were originally set out to be accomplished. When I chose to back the project, I figured that it was a safe bet being as it was already backed over 300% and getting more and more media. A reasonable person would assume beta is right around the corner with that much funding, a playable alpha, and promise of impending beta access. So I pulled the trigger and backed.

What bothers me isn't the fact that we have to wait till May for beta. It is that FTL beta access has been delayed until an undisclosed future date with little new details. The rationale of adding more to the game and expanding goals is unacceptable. Your backers didn't back you for expanded goals, they backed for the fantastic product they saw in the online demo. Surely we all want you to make a wonderful game and to take your time doing it, but one would assume that they would be included in that process when backing for beta access on a program that had a polished alpha and more than ample funding.

I am sure I will get flamed for having a sense of entitlement; however, those comments are totally misplaced. Backers should feel entirled. Backers entered a relationship that is 99% in favor of the dev (ie no ownership, no risk reward, no refund if they fail) and thus far have gotten nothing for it on a project that is funded 20 times over.We have been more than generous as backers and received nothing in return. It is ridiculous.

You have $200k in funding but we don't even have a hard date on beta. This is a lucrative opportunity that also will server as career platform. As backers we finance the project but get no financial reward. It is a massive gift that we are giving providing you. Essentially you have hit the indie game dev powerball lottery on a ticket others bought for you.

If there was a hard date on the beta my feeling on the situation would be a complete 180, unfortunately it isn't. Some sign of hard and fast accountability to the tens of thousands of people that supported you would be much appreciated it. It really is the least that can be done having had this windfall opportunity at the hands of many.

It might sound like complaining, but it is more than OK to ask "Dad when will we get there?" whenever the backers bought Dad the brand new car, filled it with gas, paid for the GPS, paid for the tolls, and bought him an airplane too just for kicks.

In this voluntary 99 : 1 relationship. Do the good guy thing and at least be accountable to the people who generously financed you. If you need time take time. You have lives just like the rest of us and we shouldn't rush you. No one wants a half baked turkey. However, pick a fixed day and stick with it. "Accountability is owed to those who provide opportunity" -Rousseau

When are we getting the beta access we paid for? Date:
Snake Plissken

Re: Letter to the dev team

Postby Snake Plissken » Mon May 21, 2012 5:54 am

They said it was "...possible that it wont happen in May". The general tone of the video leads me to believe that it is almost done and that it will be out next month at the latest. Furthermore I'm more than pleased with the results of the extra time they are taking on the project. I can see vast improvements over the Onlive demo already in place. The developers have seemed very responsive to forum ideas and criticisms and have made an active effort to take the suggestions of the community into account on their game. I don't see how you can say statements like "I figured that it was a safe bet being as it was already backed over 300% and getting more and more media." and then complain when they want to add "more and more media". I think the big problem here was your statement of "A reasonable person would assume beta is right around the corner" The assumption was wrong and now rather that just be wrong you seem more content on blaming the developers. Judging from the tone of your post it seems as though you haven't seen their newest video (I couldn't blame if you hadn't as the developers could really do a better job at putting them all in one place). Here is a link for you.

http://vimeo.com/41472447/

I'm a full believer in entitlement. You did pay for a project and you are entitled to have them deliver what was promised as well as be pissed if you don't like it. Just try to keep in mind that they only gave rough estimates on their development schedule, they said it would most likely be out this month, and its not even the end of the month yet. Now at the end of next month if it isn't out trust me I'll be right there with you but for now...we wait.
soratidus999

Re: Letter to the dev team

Postby soratidus999 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 am

Where i understand where youre coming from, theres a slight difference - especially in some of the stuf you said near the end

Why no May beta testing? i paid for the game i should get it,

Well.... was there a set date on the kickstarter you paid for.... no.... an approximation

Did you put in 20? 100? 10,000? - (i could understand 10k)

kickstarter was built on that principle - trust, if you weren't happy with what was provided as part of the kickstarter and just "assumed" there would be more.... well who's fault is that

all in all ITS A GAME - we will get it when the devs feel that its a complete enough gaming experience so don't have kittens just because you haven't got it yet, calm, chill, have a drink, eat a sandwhich, listen to OST's...