No Steam? Put larger warning sticker on GOG option PLZ!

General discussion about the game.
tacticurn

No Steam? Put larger warning sticker on GOG option PLZ!

Postby tacticurn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 am

I bought the game and love it. I picked the GOG version for no particular reason since I read that I would get a steam key. Fine. I guess I didn't. Learn to read. But its annoying that my fine money is now wasted on a DRM free version that won't connect to steam when I It was the precise thing I wanted. And it seems I also blew myself out of the OS X version.
I didn't know about GOG and what their specific aim is (old titles, no drm etc). I did find out now though, after the fact :(

So that sucks. Little sticker next to GOG like "This will not work with Steam".

Great game though!
Gorlom

Re: No Steam? Put larger warning sticker on GOG option PLZ!

Postby Gorlom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 am

tacticurn wrote:I bought the game and love it. I picked the GOG version for no particular reason since I read that I would get a steam key. Fine. I guess I didn't. Learn to read. But its annoying that my fine money is now wasted on a DRM free version that won't connect to steam when I It was the precise thing I wanted. And it seems I also blew myself out of the OS X version.
I didn't know about GOG and what their specific aim is (old titles, no drm etc). I did find out now though, after the fact :(

So that sucks. Little sticker next to GOG like "This will not work with Steam".

Great game though!

where did you buy it from? humble bundle or from GoG directly?

If you bought it from the FTL website you should have gotten both. (check your email again?)

what is it you want specifically from steam? the save cloud or steam achievements aren't working atm. So the only thing I can think of is auto update.
tacticurn

Postby tacticurn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am

I bought it from their home page but with GOG - that is, I thought GOG is their store! It wasn't.

I'd just want the version that is multi platform so I can play it on both my Mac and my OS X. I thought cloud sync would work, so that my progress with unlocks would be accessible on all steam installs, but okay it isn't.
Also updates.

GOG version seems to be Windows only. It doesn't have DRM which is "nice" I guess, but what exactly can I use it for? No DRM still doesn't allow me to share it with anyone legally, and even though I can install it on all pcs I use (2 windows but no the os x lappy), Steam would allow me the same - and on all 3 of them.

The point is: the buyer experience is a bit tricky. It is not crystal clear what you DO NOT get when you pick any of the 3 versions. I wish they'd just sell one, this is what I am used to. FTL is FTL, not "Oh you got the GOG FTL edition huh? Sucks to be you then if you have a mac." I thought that was a thing of the past.

Edit: There is a number of unhappy GOG buyer's here with some similar problems.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:55 am

You've lost nothing - the Steam version is useless. It doesn't use steamcloud for saves. It doesn't use steam achievements.
Install on pendrive and it's just like steam. (you have to manually copy saves)

At least you've got songs.

For me it was crystal clear that were 3 versions. Each with own unique advantage. Except the Steam version, it's most expensive and has no advantages at all.

/edit: Man, you're the only ONE feeling cheated. Using such big words when it's clearly only your fault won't get anyone on your side.
Last edited by Agent_L on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

tacticurn wrote:I bought it from their home page but with GOG - that is, I thought GOG is their store! It wasn't.

I'm still not sure I get it. did you buy it from http://www.ftlgame.com/ or from http://www.GoG.com/ ? :|
tacticurn

Postby tacticurn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am

Gog.com. I found everything on http://www.ftlgame.com/. The links to 3 different stores (with, as it seems, 3 different versions).
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:03 am

tacticurn wrote:Gog.com. I found everything on http://www.ftlgame.com/. The links to 3 different stores (with, as it seems, 3 different versions).

Really because I can't even find a link to GoG.com on ftlgame.com

Did you enter your email and stuff into that box on ftlgame.com and select a payment option?

Or have they changed stuff and only provide the humble bundle now? Maybe you can contact GoG and see if you can get a refund so that you can buy it from humble bundle and get both the GoG key and the steam key.
Agent_L

Postby Agent_L » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

Gorlom wrote:I'm still not sure I get it.
He just clicked before reading and now he wants others to pay for his mistake.
Quite typical attitude this days, I must admit.
CIA maps of Portugal Please God, don't let Portugal to go to war with USA!
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 am

This is nothing new. Buying a game from one distribution service very rarely gives you access to any of the others.
FTL is pretty unique in the fact that buying it off the main page also gives you both the GOG.com and Steam versions.

Go and buy a game off Origin and see if it gives you the Steam version, or buy a game off of Steam and see if it gives you the GOG version.

If you buy a game from one distributor, what's in it for the others to give it to you for free as well?
tacticurn

Postby tacticurn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 am

There are 3 different platforms also, I got one of them only, but paid full price anyways. I'd gladly trade wallpaper and the sound track for access to OSX and Linux builds. Why even use GOG then? Buy it off the home page, you get all of it.

http://www.ftlgame.com/?page_id=106