Power Generators...

General discussion about the game.
Stelly

Power Generators...

Postby Stelly » Wed May 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi All,

After reading some of the threads do we think that there should be a power plant sorta system? So if you take it out then the ship is totally disabled? Maybe you can purchase a emergency backup system with limited power that you can allocated to certian areas within the ship with power

Thought that this would be an epic idea?

Stelly
Niknaktom

Re: Power Generators...

Postby Niknaktom » Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 pm

this does infact actually make alot of sense. Of course there would be some sort of power generator. it would also make a prime target to hit. HOWEVER

Which i think maybe is why they didnt put it in as an actually system as you would only target that because why would you target anything else if that one system would bring down all the other ones.
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Wed May 16, 2012 2:05 pm

personally I would make this the hardest system to damage, heavily sheilded, so it wouldn't make sense to go for this first, unless you had some kind of amazing wep or something, I can see where you are coming from though

Stelly
Silemess

Postby Silemess » Thu May 17, 2012 12:18 am

I'm with Niknaktom. One system to rule them all, one system to blind them? That'd be THE target. Which would mean it would have to have an exception built in to protect it from the EMP gun we saw demo'd. No, it's better that power remain safe from targeting.

However, perhaps some sort of hull defense system / turrets? Then you could employ a leech drone to suck power levels away at an enemy ship (or be used against your own ship). Then it's a question of sending a crew member to the turrets to blast away what's draining your energy.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Thu May 17, 2012 1:22 am

I dunno, the "All-out" approach is kind of difficult to balance around. During the OnLive demo, I had trouble enough deciding whether to go for Shields or Weapons / Drones subsystems.
samseng813

Postby samseng813 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 am

I will say
this is a far future that even FTL jump is a common action.
Every component in ship has their own power generator to feed it.

We now live in 2012, making FTL jump is possible after next 50,000 years.
Isn't human technology will upgrade already? Should we still use the 2012 brain logic?

OR

All component function like a laptop. Without the direct power source.
The laptop will use it's battery when without power source(near 2 hours).

Hopefully this give an insight.
Silemess

Postby Silemess » Thu May 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Just as knocking out the life support system doesn't immediately kill all the O2 on the ship, but instead starts depleting it? Hmm, I might waive my complaint against having power generators exist. It still feels like it'd be too much of a target since it would domino down all systems. But if there was time to repair the damage before losing the ship, then you could at least react to fix it before critical shut-off.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 am

Silemess wrote:Just as knocking out the life support system doesn't immediately kill all the O2 on the ship, but instead starts depleting it? Hmm, I might waive my complaint against having power generators exist. It still feels like it'd be too much of a target since it would domino down all systems. But if there was time to repair the damage before losing the ship, then you could at least react to fix it before critical shut-off.

See thats what I mean, and also having a back up gen while you repair it will help alot....

Stelly
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 am

Early on in development the power bars on the left that feed the all of the systems were actually in a room, the Reactor. But frankly that got cut pretty quickly for a variety of reasons, some of which you already brought up.

But something I'd love to see (in someone else's game, lol) is having your reactor, your backup reactor all for a much larger ship, but also see power lines like in Sim City. Certain saboteurs or damage would cut the power from a certain point in the line, so you'd have to reroute power from another system or sector, but therefore maybe overtaxing that one reactor line and it gets 1/2 the power. Oh man. Intense.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
chanman

Postby chanman » Wed May 23, 2012 2:54 am

Niknaktom wrote:this does infact actually make alot of sense. Of course there would be some sort of power generator. it would also make a prime target to hit. HOWEVER

Which i think maybe is why they didnt put it in as an actually system as you would only target that because why would you target anything else if that one system would bring down all the other ones.

Add batteries :D