[Suggestion] Volley Fire

General discussion about the game.
Lurkily

Re: [Suggestion] Volley Fire

Postby Lurkily » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 am

I think as long as the UI is done gracefully and we have the option to ignore it, it would be fine.

Fun is only fun for those people who find it fun. In circumstances where this is inappropriate or counterproductive, it will be frustrating, and people won't use it in these situations. People who enjoy minute control over their weapons will not have fun with it, and won't use it.

But here's the real clincher: In some specific situations, this micromanagement can stop being fun for 99% of the playership, and turn into an ugly, sloppy grind. In situations where the player can use it appropriately, and they don't prefer to micromanage . . . some situations it can REALLY turn the tide of frustration.

I'm talking about situations in which the enemy can't damage you, and you have BARELY enough firepower to do systems damage . . . if you hit. This is a situation where you have to fully target shields, and pray for enough consecutive hits - and little enough repair on their part - to reduce their shield capacity, and let you destroy their shield. You know you've won, but it can take a lot of time to pry that tiny edge up, and turn it into a real advantage.

If it has the potential to mitigate some of the ugliest, most frustrating parts of the game, (even if they're rare,) shouldn't we be pushing them to try it?

(P.S.: If you need your ion weapons to strike the shield, despite striking a target last . . . then target the shield system with it, dummy. I do admit there are situations when you want to ion different systems, in which this is inappropriate . . . so don't use it when it's not appropriate. )
CaptainQuirk

Re: [Suggestion] Volley Fire

Postby CaptainQuirk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:01 am

I just wait until they're charged and use the pause button. I guess it'd be handy but I'd rather be able to set groups for crew members than for weapons. I really enjoy all the micromanagement in this game though and wouldn't really like to see it changed.
Humour, reviews and rants courtesy of The Robot Overlords all at Robots Building Robots!