FTL Tabletop roleplaying

General discussion about the game.
Wiseacre

Re: FTL Tabletop roleplaying

Postby Wiseacre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 am

Whale Cancer wrote:So yeah, something like this. I think the visual element helps immersion (I'm a forever-DM, myself).

bomber_grid_mockup.png

Yeah. That's great. I don't suppose you have a program that can whip those up? I was just going to hit some of my more artistic players up to do some ship outlines we could use. I've been the DM for near three years myself as part a decade of playing tabletop rpgs.
Real

Postby Real » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:29 am

I've been working on my own version of this for my group, but it's less ambitious, just a modification of the d20 system. Still working out nicely though and you were right; it translates very easily.

What caught my interest though is those wire-frames with the squares in them. How did you make them, Whale Cancer? I want to do something similar and be able to add symbols as the party installs systems to their ship.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 am

I just did these in photoshop. I have the wireframes laying around, because I intend to use them to help me draw some original sprites for my mod (the ship sprites in this game follow a very specific style, looking at the wireframes and playing with them has been helping me; still no usable new sprites, though).

Edit: Oh, I made the wireframes by just pulling the sprites out of the game data and deleting everything that wasn't black. Very quick to do in photoshop. I used a screenshot of the layout of the ship (by just taking a screenshot and cutting it out) and just superimposed it on the sprite.

I could do these up, but I can't promise the speed at which I would do them. Probably just during periods when I am sick of modding FTL. If you have access to photoshop, I could make versions with guidelines so you could custom copy/paste room configurations. If you don't, I could just set up the standard room layouts and you could copy/paste the room icons as appropriate.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Real

Postby Real » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:50 am

Haz photoshop. :3
The best thing I could ask from you would be a simple template of the various rooms/sizes and doors with the bordered icon sprites. From it I could let my players design their ship's layout, which is very awesome.

ETA: I've tried ripping my own sprites before, and I would shame my family if I were ever to repeat such an atrocity.
Wiseacre

Postby Wiseacre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 am

Whale Cancer wrote:I could do these up, but I can't promise the speed at which I would do them. Probably just during periods when I am sick of modding FTL. If you have access to photoshop, I could make versions with guidelines so you could custom copy/paste room configurations. If you don't, I could just set up the standard room layouts and you could copy/paste the room icons as appropriate.

I would be very interested in this as well.
Wiseacre

Postby Wiseacre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:03 am

Also, the bomber you linked has no doors to outside, hah.
Wiseacre

Postby Wiseacre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 pm

I updated the character sheets and ship sheets and put them on the first post. They needed cleaning up.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Also, the bomber you linked has no doors to outside, hah.

That's the default enemy version of the bomber! It's senseless (not as bad as the slug ships), but it is what it is.

I'll try and do some sprites in a 'paper doll' style for you guys for this Sunday/Monday.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Wiseacre

Postby Wiseacre » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Ok, so I'm kind of inept at art and art based computer programs and I printed out my character sheets and they appear smudgy and the words have a grey pixel cloud around them for some godawful reason. Is there some way they can be cleaned up and made easier on the eyes?
Wiseacre

Postby Wiseacre » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:
I'll try and do some sprites in a 'paper doll' style for you guys for this Sunday/Monday.

That's gonna be great. Thanks!