Flagship AI

General discussion about the game.
stylesrj

Flagship AI

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 am

I probably know to this already (no) but I've been looking at the TVTropes page for FTL and it occasionally references the ghosts as dummied out content, etc.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... rThanLight

Then I saw this under "Ghost ship"

Also, there was a literal Ghost Ship event that was planned, but never finished, involving a ship crewed by ghosts. Sadly, the unfinished nature meant that "Ghost" characters were almost completely Dummied Out, nonexistent except for save-file editing and a single natural occurrence in the Final Boss fight (an invincible and invisible Ghost provides the "Advanced AI" for the Flagship).

Is that actually true? Is there some sort of invisible guy going around fixing the Rebel Flagship up? Or is it just that the people who made the TVTropes page don't know how FTL actually works?
Because you'd think an invisible ghost would want to do something about the boarders in the shield room.

I'm assuming the Rebel Flagship's AI is like the automated ships but better (I'm under the impression systems are fixed twice as fast. That true or just a matter of perception?)
Sleeper Service

Re: Flagship AI

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:32 pm

stylesrj wrote:Is that actually true? Is there some sort of invisible guy going around fixing the Rebel Flagship up? Or is it just that the people who made the TVTropes page don't know how FTL actually works?
Because you'd think an invisible ghost would want to do something about the boarders in the shield room.

I'd think its the later. From what I can tell the Flagship repairs as fast as normal auto ships.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
stylesrj wrote:Is that actually true? Is there some sort of invisible guy going around fixing the Rebel Flagship up? Or is it just that the people who made the TVTropes page don't know how FTL actually works?

I'd think its the later. From what I can tell the Flagship repairs as fast as normal auto ships. There is nothing really indicating the there is invisible crew aboard. Ghost crew themselves are not truly invisible either.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I'd think its the later. From what I can tell the Flagship repairs as fast as normal auto ships. There is nothing really indicating the there is invisible crew aboard. Ghost crew themselves are not truly invisible either.

Yeah I figured TVTropes was talking out of their lampshade about it.

I'm assuming the faster repairs are just me thinking they are, because it certainly looks like it is :lol:
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:22 am

I have got the impression that the repair speed of auto ships is random, some being noticably faster than others. Maybe the same is true for the flagship AI. Other somewhat randomised timings concern the ASB firing rate and the flagship super weapon firing rate.

Since several systems will be repaired simultaneously on the flagship, it doesn't seem to be a single invincible ghost acting there, just the normal AI.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:27 pm

The thing with auto repair is that it starts once the system is damaged for the firs time and then continues even when the system is destroyed or hit again (like normal repairs). Depending on how fast the system is destroyed, the the one-bar auto repair stated after the first damage taken might almost be finished once the system is completely destroyed. If the destruction of the system falls close to the moment the first repair is finished then this might look like the ship just really swiftly repaired the system. However, as far as I can tall the actual repair speed for auto repair is the same for all auto ships, including the flagship. This can be verified with lvl 3 Sensors, at least for normal auto ships.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 am

There are rumours that the ai ships work if like they got the ghost race at each station but kind of affixed there and not physically there. Just altered code wise so to say.

However to be honest the only way we can ever debunk that is if the devs clearly say for them self that this isn't 100% true or that when FTL overdrive is done we can find all the hidden secretes from FTL hardcoding...

I also heard another rhumor that ghosts used to man the ai ships in a much older version of the game but sadly I never played any of the old versions...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:23 am

R4V3-0N wrote:I also heard another rhumor that ghosts used to man the ai ships in a much older version of the game but sadly I never played any of the old versions...

Rhumor? Is that a funny rumour? Because that is a funny one considering that the Ghosts in Captains Edition are now AI Avatars... what if it was like that in the past as well?
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:39 am

Sleeper Service wrote:The thing with auto repair is that it starts once the system is damaged for the firs time and then continues even when the system is destroyed or hit again (like normal repairs). Depending on how fast the system is destroyed, the the one-bar auto repair stated after the first damage taken might almost be finished once the system is completely destroyed. If the destruction of the system falls close to the moment the first repair is finished then this might look like the ship just really swiftly repaired the system. However, as far as I can tall the actual repair speed for auto repair is the same for all auto ships, including the flagship. This can be verified with lvl 3 Sensors, at least for normal auto ships.

I'm aware of that and take my observations mostly from auto ships I've hacked; I've never timed repair speed, but I'm almost sure it's a range of 50-100% faster in some compared to others. In some cases, you can watch the bar getting repaired continuously, while in others you hardly notice any increase. I might time repair speed should I play again.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:50 am

shadowcrust wrote:I'm aware of that and take my observations mostly from auto ships I've hacked; I've never timed repair speed, but I'm almost sure it's a range of 50-100% faster in some compared to others. In some cases, you can watch the bar getting repaired continuously, while in others you hardly notice any increase. I might time repair speed should I play again.

As they say, a watched kettle doesn't boil.
I think the repair speed is subjective but it would be nice to know if your theory is true.