Who is the player?

General discussion about the game.
Somdudewillson
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Who is the player?

Postby Somdudewillson » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:24 pm

So, I was playing a short bit of FTL and got my crew slaughtered. After mourning my fallen friends, something occurred to me. WHO AM I? I mean, you, the player, are an unknown being who:
    Has a flexible view of time. (Pausing)
    Sees the entire ship at once.
    Can instantly reallocate power.
    Is capable of instantly giving orders to crew members, even in the harshest of circumstances.
    Has crew who instantly follows said commands, even if they are "Stand in this oxygenless room and die."
    Does not exist as a visible crew member.
    Cannot man any system.
    Cannot continue to command the ship when there are no crew left.
    Knows everything about every weapon, no matter if it was bought from a store, given by a surrendering enemy, or found floating in space.
    Has instant control over all systems on the ship.
    Knows the effects and precise cost of every system upgrade.
So... what manner of being is the player?
Image
Leylite
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Who is the player?

Postby Leylite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm

This is definitely a recurring discussion topic, but I think it's definitely one the developers left ambiguous.

There are a couple of points in favor of the "Captain is a normal person" theory, which involves two events: first, the Slug captain who tries to get the player captain themselves to drink something, and second, a Mantis sector boarding event which specifically says "you, the player" ready their pistol:

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Slug_Captain_ ... to_a_Drink
http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Mantis_Boarders

These could be chalked up to questionably-accurate flavor text, but the text is in the game and it must be considered as evidence (however weak) against the "player is the ship's AI" theory.

Really, though, I think you can pretty much take whatever theory is your favorite.
Somdudewillson
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Re: Who is the player?

Postby Somdudewillson » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Leylite wrote:This is definitely a recurring discussion topic, but I think it's definitely one the developers left ambiguous.

There are a couple of points in favor of the "Captain is a normal person" theory, which involves two events: first, the Slug captain who tries to get the player captain themselves to drink something, and second, a Mantis sector boarding event which specifically says "you, the player" ready their pistol:

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Slug_Captain_ ... to_a_Drink
http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Mantis_Boarders

These could be chalked up to questionably-accurate flavor text, but the text is in the game and it must be considered as evidence (however weak) against the "player is the ship's AI" theory.

Really, though, I think you can pretty much take whatever theory is your favorite.

But the player cannot be a crewmember, as every crewmember is expendable. You can have every original crewmember die and still be the captain. And the player can't really be the ship's AI, because then how come you need crew?
Image
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: Who is the player?

Postby stylesrj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:16 pm

But the player cannot be a crewmember, as every crewmember is expendable. You can have every original crewmember die and still be the captain. And the player can't really be the ship's AI, because then how come you need crew?


Maybe your AI isn't sophisticated enough to operate the FTL drive and is only capable of controlling ship systems and giving orders? Why is it that the enemy ships can still fire at you even if their entire crew is onboard your ship?

Or perhaps that one of the crew is always Captain. If the original crew dies or is dismissed, someone else becomes Captain. The Captain can do all those crazy orders and no one will question them because everyone knows they're expendable.
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: Who is the player?

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:04 pm

stylesrj wrote:Or perhaps that one of the crew is always Captain. If the original crew dies or is dismissed, someone else becomes Captain. The Captain can do all those crazy orders and no one will question them because everyone knows they're expendable.


This is what I always figured. Federation law states that a clear chain of command must exist on each military vessel. Every single person on the ship has a place in line, and if the captain dies everybody just moves up one in the chain.

Regarding pausing and all that, that's just an abstraction for us, the player.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Somdudewillson
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Re: Who is the player?

Postby Somdudewillson » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
This is what I always figured. Federation law states that a clear chain of command must exist on each military vessel. Every single person on the ship has a place in line, and if the captain dies everybody just moves up one in the chain.

Regarding pausing and all that, that's just an abstraction for us, the player.

How does the captain retain control over the ship when the entire crew are on an enemy ship in a nebula?
Image
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: Who is the player?

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Somdudewillson wrote:How does the captain retain control over the ship when the entire crew are on an enemy ship in a nebula?


There's an achievement for that one. Obviously Hal 9000 takes over for you while the Captain's onboard the enemy ship. Thanks to the neural network, they can instantly send orders to it which sends orders to the rest of the crew while they're still trying to not get their limbs cut off by a Mantis warrior.

Plus it sings Daisy Bell. The Mantis, not Hal 9000. That'd be bad.

Trusty old Autopilot...
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: Who is the player?

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Somdudewillson wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:
This is what I always figured. Federation law states that a clear chain of command must exist on each military vessel. Every single person on the ship has a place in line, and if the captain dies everybody just moves up one in the chain.

Regarding pausing and all that, that's just an abstraction for us, the player.

How does the captain retain control over the ship when the entire crew are on an enemy ship in a nebula?


Through his Pip-Boy, of course. ;)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
zaphod_
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: Who is the player?

Postby zaphod_ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Honestly, I think the player might be the wonderful image featured in your sig.
Somdudewillson
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Re: Who is the player?

Postby Somdudewillson » Fri May 01, 2015 12:19 am

zaphod_ wrote:Honestly, I think the player might be the wonderful image featured in your sig.

The only possible response to that preposterous idea: http://pastebin.com/FA0CS7vW.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests