Can we hope for an FTL 2?

General discussion about the game.
arcsinus_master

Can we hope for an FTL 2?

Postby arcsinus_master » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

This game is so great I spent countless hours on it (actually more than 200 according to steam). The game seems to be a great success and even if we had recently the Advanced edition which turned awesome+ tons of mods, I'm now eager for more...

Could we hope for a FTL 2?

Regarding this hypothesis of a new game, I think those features would be awesome :

1) Keep Ben Prunty on Soundtrack (or riot !)
2) Having both solo adventure and coop adventure. THe coop thing could be 2 ships coordinating to fight tougher enemies.
3) Multiple scenarios.
4) A more hardcore difficulty (no just kidding!)

Anyway what are your opinion, would you be glad if there is a FTL 2? What new features would you enjoy?

Arcsinus_master
SelphieSelfie

Re: Can we hope for an FTL 2?

Postby SelphieSelfie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:38 pm

No. They spent 4 years making this game and would like to pursue other games.

What's great though is that they support modding, even making a whole section dedicated to it.
You know these men know exactly what gaming is about not like companies that prevent all derivative work.

The material provided by these men is more than enough to make mods that feel like the FTL 2 we all want. ;)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:14 pm

What's great though is that they support modding, even making a whole section dedicated to it.
You know these men know exactly what gaming is about not like companies that prevent all derivative work

Although there's a lot that's hardcoded into the game. You can't change augments, how many you can have on a ship, you can't change the crew's stats or how many you can have. Ships all have 4 cargo spaces. The game must end with the Flagship battle, you can't remove the Rebel fleet entirely (you can only delay it). Systems and subsystems are hardcoded, evasion will always work the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the developers at least support some modding unlike some of the other games out there by big and small companies, but it's still quite limited on what you can do.
r543

Postby r543 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:03 pm

I think they want to move to a new game. A final update which would fix some bugs and maybe add some small gameplay features would be nice.
Crouchy

Postby Crouchy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:12 pm

I would love FTL2, although I'm unsure on what they could actually do to make it a proper sequel as the first game is so brilliant. A multiplayer version, though, would be fantastic. I can imagine playing with friends and attacking multiple ships with your multiplayer fleet. Sounds awesome.

I guess FTL2 could just have a new narrative, some different events and a few new mechanics as a starting point. I'm not sure what else they could add though to improve it or offer something different in a significant way.

What about another style of game but set in the FTL universe? That could be cool!

I guess sometimes it is best to leave a game where it is and not try to produce a sequel. FTL is so great and maybe producing a sequel would sour the amazing experience of the original game if it didn't match up to what would be absolutely massive expectations.
Ford_Prefect

Postby Ford_Prefect » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:42 am

I don't wish for FTL 2. New advanced edition will be as cool as FTL 2. Just imagine 1 new layer for all ships, 1 new ship with at least 2 layers, 1 new race, couple of new weapons, drones, augmentaions and events. I'll totally buy it even if it costs 20 euro.