Unlocking new ships is way too difficult

General discussion about the game.
Nutsnmango

Unlocking new ships is way too difficult

Postby Nutsnmango » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 pm

It's not like unlocking new ships is a matter of skill, most of them are unlocked with special quests that simply require the player to be extremely lucky. I love this game, steam says ive played it for over 20 hours. I have games ive beaten in less than that. I think even after I play this for 40+ hours I will still only have the kestrel and the torus. I feel a little bit cheated. I paid for this game in full and I can't unlock these new spaceships. the torus and kestrel lock me into these very particular playstyles. unlocking ships ought to be much easier. This really should be patched, or someone should come up with a hex editor hack, its probably what I will have to resort to.

Like I said, I love this game, but I know I'm missing out on a lot of the content.
Kestral B

Re: Unlocking new ships is way too difficult

Postby Kestral B » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Same here...I want to unlock ships, but don't know what I can do to make that happen.

I got a Voltan ship, but I don't even remember what I did to get it! =P
Oh, and I got the Fed Cruiser somehow...I think that might be a reward for beating the game on easy, which I did once (have yet to win on normal).
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 pm

I do think it takes a long time, but I don't think they should do much to improve it. It's a brutal game, and I think unlocking things SHOULD take a long time.
AngleWyrm

Postby AngleWyrm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Initially I felt similar to you, that I don't have enough pull on selecting a ship. Then I began to think that ships are the loot.

Steam says I've played 36 hours, and I have unlocked the stealth cruiser, Engi cruiser (both deck plans), the Federation cruiser, and the Zoltan cruiser (both deck plans). That's over half the ship hulls, but less than half the starting crew and equipment loadouts.

So I'm not sure it's too hard. It is however kinda frustrating if you want to check out another ship.
gingerbill

Postby gingerbill » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:28 pm

easiest way to unlock is jsut download a profile with all the ships and variants , someone posted it on here recently . just have to copy and paste , think he unlocked them with a cheat.

I've found the game more fun with all the stuff unlocked.
PirateCat

Postby PirateCat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I disagree. How are you being cheated? You still get to play the game. No one is keeping you from trying to unlock ships. If you want to definitely get them, download the mod that turns off the rebel fleet and you can explore every point in a sector, you'll hit the ship quests that way for sure. If they were easy to get, I wouldn't feel any sense of satisfaction when I get them.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:36 pm

PirateCat wrote:If they were easy to get, I wouldn't feel any sense of satisfaction when I get them.

Yar agreed. Things are worth doing if they're just handed to you.

I like the comments about mods/exploits. Surely that'll help long run.
nfiea

Postby nfiea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:51 pm

I love that the response is to just cheat to unlock them

game is to hard, just cheat
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Well, what are you supposed to do if the game is too hard?

1. Get better
2. hope they change something, maybe provide some valuable and insightful feedback on their work
3. cheat

I think they are all valid options. :p
PirateCat

Postby PirateCat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm

nfiea wrote:I love that the response is to just cheat to unlock them

game is to hard, just cheat

I've unlocked several ships without cheating. The response is actually "if you don't have the skills to unlock them, make the game easier for yourself." Which is far better than "if you don't have the skills to unlock them, make the game easier and ruin the fun of those who do."