Man up!

General discussion about the game.
Retro

Man up!

Postby Retro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi everybody,

I decided to sign up just to write this post, some of you may find it antagonistic. If you're one of those people, then I suggest you re-read the title and try it..... you never know, you might like it.

Firstly I'll start by saying what a wonderful little game this is. In my expererience of gaming (which is extensive) I've never encountered a game quite like it. Well maybe some similar ones back in the 80's... obviously with not as fancy graphics though.

I've been fed up with 'mainstream' games for quite a while now and I tend to lean toward the Indie market quite a bit nowadays as a result. I like a challenge, I like immersion and I like originality. Nine times out of ten I never finish a game. The reason for this is because, I like a challenge, I like immersion and I like originality. Most games I find nowadays are far too easy. Not in the way that you can do it without thinking, but in the way that if you research a little, or trial end error enough you will find a winning formula/template that will allow you to beat the game.

To me that makes the game become merely a story to be told, where you have the illusion of interacting with it, breaking all challenge and immersion. I think this style of game making has been going on for so long, that gamers now expect it, and when they don't get that, they get upset. Hence why this forum is full of "omg why game so f***ing random, FIX NOW OR I REFUSE TO BUY ANY DLC" or "Nice game, but you guys forgot to add a save feature" or even "Why can't I find the weapons I personally need to beat the game" Threads. T o these people I say re-read the title of this thread and do your best to try it.... even just for once in your spoon fed lazy, arsed existences.

This game is unforgiving yes, it's very random yes, you can't get that optimal buld everytime yes. But please see beyond your little bubbles that this is what not only makes it pretty unique (yes I know there is similar, dwarf fortress etc) and absolutely awesome. I'm betting that 90% of fails at this game can be avoided, that somewhere along the line YOU made the wrong choice and that ultimately led to YOUR destruction. But even if you fall into that other 10% category where maybe you took the mantis ship type B and came across an un-manned assault drone in the very first sector I say this MAN UP, there's still a chance you can survive (albeit slim and with your tail between your legs), but if not then so what. It's not like the game takes days to finish, even if you got to the flag ship and failed, you've lost what 2 maybe 3 hours! Wipe your little rage tears away and hit the restart button... this time with a little more knowledge.

This is a game in it's purest form, like many of the games from the early days. If the developers of this game start listening to those type of threads, then I guarantee any changes they make will be to the detriment FTL. Enjoy it for what it is. Enjoy the moment when you're almost out of fuel and badly damaged, with no stores around. Try and get yourself out of it. Stop thinking about things like optimal builds and min maxing. FTL isn't about that, it's about making do with what you've got and what you come accross. Adapting to situations and hopefully coming out on top, or atleast alive. A desperate journey against all odds to save the Federation, culminating in a final epic battle that you're hopefully equiped for.... if you're not, then man up and see how well you can do, you never know, you might just win.
PirateCat

Re: Man up!

Postby PirateCat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Retro wrote:It's not like the game takes days to finish, even if you got to the flag ship and failed, you've lost what 2 maybe 3 hours!

While I agree with everything you say, this part is what really kills me about these complaints. "Oh, I lost all my crew that I had be levelling the WHOLE GAME!!!1!11!!1!1" My first thought is always along the lines of its not like it took you weeks or months to get there. Its a coffee break RL (with a refreshing injection of RTS), and if I could put it down, I'd only play it an hour or two at a time, fully expecting to go through a few crews in that time.
Retro

Postby Retro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm

PirateCat wrote:
Retro wrote:It's not like the game takes days to finish, even if you got to the flag ship and failed, you've lost what 2 maybe 3 hours!

While I agree with everything you say, this part is what really kills me about these complaints. "Oh, I lost all my crew that I had be levelling the WHOLE GAME!!!1!11!!1!1" My first thought is always along the lines of its not like it took you weeks or months to get there. Its a coffee break RL (with a refreshing injection of RTS), and if I could put it down, I'd only play it an hour or two at a time, fully expecting to go through a few crews in that time.

Exactly, a few hours maximum. When I start a new game, I'm always thinking to myself "I wonder what's lurking out there that's going to pop me this time". I'll bet the complainers are thinking "FFS I need to get a cloak this time".
Naut

Postby Naut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:04 pm

I had to register too, just to agree with the topic and this line:

THIS IS A GAME WHERE THE GOAL IS TO PLAY THE GAME!

If it would be the goal to win, you can delete it after 3 hours.
Retro

Postby Retro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Naut wrote:I had to register too, just to agree with the topic and this line:

THIS IS A GAME WHERE THE GOAL IS TO PLAY THE GAME!

If it would be the goal to win, you can delete it after 3 hours.

I couldn't agree more. This way of thinking is the reason why I've never used a cheat, ever. I've never seen the point in them.
PirateCat

Postby PirateCat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Retro wrote:
PirateCat wrote:

Exactly, a few hours maximum. When I start a new game, I'm always thinking to myself "I wonder what's lurking out there that's going to pop me this time". I'll bet the complainers are thinking "FFS I need to get a cloak this time".

The Dwarf Fortress motto is very applicable to this game, too. "Losing is fun." There's just something amusing about the mental image of your final crew member dying of suffocation because his idiot captain forgot to push power into the life support system he just finished repairing. That was a face palm moment.
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 pm

While I agree, you gotta admit It's pretty annoying where you search all sectors thougherly, and only find a single store that sells weapons. That i then couldn't afford. Leaving me with the default Kestrel guns to fight the flagship.
Oh well, wouldv'e got destroyed anyway :P
Naut

Postby Naut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm

madattak9 wrote:While I agree, you gotta admit It's pretty annoying where you search all sectors thougherly, and only find a single store that sells weapons. That i then couldn't afford. Leaving me with the default Kestrel guns to fight the flagship.
Oh well, wouldv'e got destroyed anyway :P

Well it leaves you many scraps to upgrade your systems though :D
Incendax

Postby Incendax » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:25 pm

The game deviates from the expectations of the masses. Most people say to themselves, "I want to try playing the game 'this way' today". Where 'this way' is a heavy beam strategy, or an ion strategy, or a teleport strategy, or a drone strategy. Then they actually play the game and realize that they can't have a strategy, just adapt to the circumstances or die.

Also, it takes me about 8 hours to beat FTL. I am very methodical.
icepick

Postby icepick » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Incendax wrote:The game deviates from the expectations of the masses. Most people say to themselves, "I want to try playing the game 'this way' today". Where 'this way' is a heavy beam strategy, or an ion strategy, or a teleport strategy, or a drone strategy. Then they actually play the game and realize that they can't have a strategy, just adapt to the circumstances or die.

You can choose your starting strat based on what ship you choose. There's plenty of room for choice and skill, though it's obviously subject to the whims of the random number generator here and there.