What is next for subset games?

General discussion about the game.
Acromos

Re: What is next for subset games?

Postby Acromos » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Whatever makes you think I'm giving it any sort of thought except serious? =) Mail inc.
Paulygon

Postby Paulygon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:10 am

I made an account in order to ask why there aren't 18 pages of fanboys like me blathering on about this topic. Only 2 pages?! Then the registration question made me research bird of prey sizes. I think I get it now. Much easier to blather on reddit. Luckily when I failed that question it came at me with a riddle from the hobbit. I know me some hobbit riddles.

So... bump. What are you guys up too? Still pounding away on new ideas, or just relaxing on a tropical beach somewhere? ;]
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Acromos wrote:
isla wrote:@Acromos - While there's no such thing on a copyright on game design, all FTL IP is copyrighted, and we legally can't allow any fan-made sequels/successors/etc. That said, if you want to make a game inspired by FTL, but without using the name, any assets, sounds, images, etc. Then you can absolutely do so no problem.

Well of course it's copyrighted =)

No, I'm thinking in the manner of the Halflife mods that are available: I make something based on your IP, design and content subject to your review, and sell it - sharing profits, of course. An attractive solution because you get money for nothing, I get free marketing (primarily the use of the name).

I realise this sort of inquiry isn't generally handled on a public forum, but the opening post got me thinking, and I figured it couldn't really hurt to ask. I'm quite impressed by the speed of your reply. Good show! =)

I heard that they are fine with a game that occurs in the same universe as FTL and basically have a sequel. However I am not to familiar with the legal technicalities. Perhaps contacting subset games/ justin or matt directly on the idea of making a sequal to see what's fine and what's not?
however if it's a direct sequel I think (to prevent fan backlash or anything) to not stride to far away from FTL.
But if you are making an inspired game may I ask what you got on your mind? Games like Hyperspace Admirals and Convoy are both games I like inspired from FTL but are so drastically different.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
isla

Postby isla » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:19 pm

I heard that they are fine with a game that occurs in the same universe as FTL and basically have a sequel.

This is not true. Even if it's inspired by FTL, no other game is allowed to use any of FTL's IP without explicit permission. That includes not just the in-game assets, but races, names, places, etc.

If anyone has any additional questions about this, please always feel free to email them to me directly.
Sir Garde

Postby Sir Garde » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:42 am

isla wrote:@Acromos - While there's no such thing on a copyright on game design, all FTL IP is copyrighted, and we legally can't allow any fan-made sequels/successors/etc. That said, if you want to make a game inspired by FTL, but without using the name, any assets, sounds, images, etc. Then you can absolutely do so no problem.

as old as this is im not entirely sure that thats how copyright works
yes so far as Assets (art music code and the FTL branding as a whole) but ideas universe and even races i dont think simply using these would be copyright infringement
especially if the devs are okay with it. plus if it doesn't use any pre made assets then i cant think of a way they could sue
fan works can be and often are legal so long as they dont do certain things I.E potently harm Subset in some way or flat out steal using ideas and even setting things in the same universe with the same races planets and everything isnt copyright infringement sure characters would be but their aren't really any characters in FTL
isla

Postby isla » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Sir Garde wrote:

as old as this is im not entirely sure that thats how copyright works
yes so far as Assets (art music code and the FTL branding as a whole) but ideas universe and even races i dont think simply using these would be copyright infringement
especially if the devs are okay with it. plus if it doesn't use any pre made assets then i cant think of a way they could sue
fan works can be and often are legal so long as they dont do certain things I.E potently harm Subset in some way or flat out steal using ideas and even setting things in the same universe with the same races planets and everything isnt copyright infringement sure characters would be but their aren't really any characters in FTL

To clarify: Fan works are ok so long as they are not sold for money. So yes, you can write fanfiction, create fanart, mods, etc. but you cannot make money with anything using FTL's IP.
Hisu

Postby Hisu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:43 am

Considering that there are no plans for further development of FTL (even more, there are plans for NOT developing it any further), could somebody from the dev team think about releasing the source code (at least in part, to allow for better, deeper modding and probably fan sequels)?
If yes, when? I mean, I understand there's nothing solid about it (there would be something in FAQ otherwise), but what about another five years? Ten years? Twenty? What will happen to FTL when or if Subset Games is no more — will it be sold to some other company, or kept a private property of a member of the team? Will it be released into the public domain? I'm not asking to promise us gamers anything, it's just an insight into the plans of the dev team would be nice.
If not, why? As in, is it because such a decision poses an unacceptable threat to profits? Or will you be breaking a promise or an agreement of some sort? Or you just want there to be one and only FTL that absolutely should not be changed, extended and continued, ever (and if yes, then, again, why?)? Maybe some other reason?..

Sorry if my questions seem unusually urgent or impertinent; I just don't know how to phrase it better.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:13 am

Hisu wrote:(even more, there are plans for NOT developing it any further),

I'm not sure where you pulled that from.

as pointed out in this interview: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... -after-ftl,

"We got a bit burnt out with creating the Advanced Edition," [Justin Ma] said. "While I won't discount returning to [FTL], it's not something we have any plans for at the moment."

I feel you with those questions though; I'm not entirely sure how that works, if the source code will ever be released openly. I guess if enough time passes...
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Tue May 05, 2020 8:02 pm

I can't resist asking.

2012 FTL
2014 FTL:AE
2018 Into the Breach
2020... Into the Breach expansion? ;)
Or maybe we are going right into third game which is coming in 2022? 2024? :)
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:11 pm

Still waiting for something... anything?