Just really bad luck

General discussion about the game.
Choggomac

Just really bad luck

Postby Choggomac » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:38 pm

So I unlocked the Mantis plan B ship last night, which for those who don't know, starts with no guns, 2 mantis crew, a done bay and a 4 person teleport pad. Sounds cool (and is) unless....

On your very first jump you get stuck fighting an unmanned drone in an asteroid field. And not only that...I had this happen 3 times in a row, each time I just got steam rolled, id start over...same exact fight... the 3rd time was the charm though and I was able to FTL away...to...I can't make this crap up...another unmanned drone in an asteroid field.
I took my destruction in pride and will try again for the 4th time tonight, either because im stupid or just stubborn, but I will have my 4 mantis boarding party!

Anyway, wanted to see what other bad luck streaks or events people have run into.
ice

Re: Just really bad luck

Postby ice » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 pm

If it helps, losing on your very first jump shouldn't be that hard to redo, and you can simply restart with the same crew and ship without having lost that much effort.
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Choggomac

Postby Choggomac » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Heh yeah, good point, although i dont think my crew agrees.
ice

Postby ice » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Think positively! If you leave or restart the game, they'll be gone forever and cannot feel pain over how incredibly evil you are, dooming them to eternal starvation and yay rainbows and unicorns and I think the devil wants a word with you.
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 pm

The mantis B starts with 2 points of shield, rather than the usual 1. Don't forget to turn it on however.

With the 2 shields and the defence drone you should easily be able to survive an asteroid field long enough to jump to the next point.

And, yes, a 4 mantis boarding crew is freaking awesome. You can tear the final boss apart with that alone, I know, I've tried it.