[Suggestion] Fixing the Broken and Bad Ships

General discussion about the game.
Skull

Re: [Suggestion] Fixing the Broken and Bad Ships

Postby Skull » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:32 am

stylesrj wrote:
I do reset when things go too wrong. I reset sooooo many times while trying to do a Normal run on the Stealth B, it's not funny.

Well I tried the Stealth B on Hard. First battle, I said "screw this" and never touched the Stealth ships again for anything but an Easy breeze.
Honestly, the Stealth Ships to me are just gimmicks. Fun for a little Easy romp but anything higher and you'll be wishing you had something better instead.

My high score on hard is actually with the Stealth B, so I don`t agree that they are just gimmicks. At the start, all you really have to do is survive until you can fully upgrade the stealth module, so you can safely load the beam without taking hits. And since you start with four weapon power you can swap it out for basically anything if you get lucky with the RNG. Max stealth and some engines, double burst laser II and off you go to at least sector six before anything is likely to cause you any trouble. Also, a level 1 shield and a defensive drone does you a world of good with the stealth ships. They already take a lot less hits than the other ships, and with just a cheap shield or a drone to take the brunt off whatever makes it through it`s amazing how evasive you can be.
It`s all taste I think. My personal hate ship is the rock cruiser because it starts with just missiles. I hate missiles. If you don`t find a proper weapon by the end of sector 2 you`re dead basically.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:55 am

That's the thing though. I'm not an FTL pro who can play with shieldless ships. I always like to be able to play a game where I can get through Sector 1 without too much problem. Things like the Crystal B, Lanius B and Kestrel B (although if I don't get a decent gun by Sector 3, I'm pretty much not going to get one and best to restart because those 2 layer shield ships like dodging everything) are those sorts of ships to breeze through the game on high difficulties.

Stealth B has its charms but it's not really a ship for me on anything but Easy. I could get better at the game and stop using OP scrub ships, but that's not how I roll. I want either victory, or a glorious defeat in at least Sectors 7 or 8.
OC2142

Postby OC2142 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:40 pm

The Stealth Cruisers are pretty quirky, but they are awesome if you survive sectors 1&2. Stealth B probably could do with Titanium Systems Casing though. Your weapons wreck so much face that getting 125 scrap is a laugh, and just 50 for L3 Cloak is a massive improvement. You have the most powerful weapon in the game equipped, and if you get an ion bomb or L3 Hacking, RIP Rebel Scum.
For me, the Stealth C takes the cake, eats it then makes awful Portal jokes about it. If the starting weapo s were improved, or if it came preequipped with Zoltan Shield I would love it, but as it stand, no. Just, no.
Also, answer me this. What is the point of the god-damn Fed C? Weak as hell, Artillery is flat out inferior to beam and it takes up a slot for a system. Perhaps the Flak Artillery could be changed to launch a 15 piece barrage?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:27 am

Also, answer me this. What is the point of the god-damn Fed C? Weak as hell, Artillery is flat out inferior to beam and it takes up a slot for a system. Perhaps the Flak Artillery could be changed to launch a 15 piece barrage?

I guess someone wanted to use Zoltan Bombing as a weapon. I agree that needs more shots to be fired. Maybe 10 so it's not like a 4-power 20 second Flak II.
Ray Robertson

Postby Ray Robertson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:07 am

All the ships are fine as is. They were designed the way they are on purpose.I have to applaude the developers on this. Like in any roguelike you have character types that are stronger than others. All the ships can be played succesfully on every attempt, if you are a good enough player.

Honestly some of us play these type of games because of the specific challenges they are able to provide. Take that away and you destroy the game for us.

If you don't like a specific ship you have the tools to your disposal to modify it. In traditional roguelikes you will get players that re-roll characters until they get a strong character.
Smauler

Postby Smauler » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:13 am

Skull wrote:And since you start with four weapon power you can swap it out for basically anything if you get lucky with the RNG. Max stealth and some engines, double burst laser II and off you go to at least sector six before anything is likely to cause you any trouble.

Your advice is to grab double burst laser II?

Well, thanks. You do know they're pretty rare, right? You won't see one most run throughs.

I had one run which ended in sector 6 with the stealth B because I had no way of knocking shields down. All I'd found was one ion blaster. Yes, I did check the shops, which mainly sold augments and crew. However, I guess this can happen with any ship.

My last run I picked up a burst laser III and a pre-ignitor. Ships which you could hit 5 rooms with the beam were usually toast in 1 volley, even in the last stage.