Your dumbest FTL moments

General discussion about the game.
Swiffle

Re: Your dumbest FTL moments

Postby Swiffle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Went to complete a quest in the corner of the map a few jumps away from the exit. Except. It didn't connect to the exit like I thought it would, was a bit too far to connect I guess. Soooooo, I was in a dead end with rebels catching up, low fuel, and the exit was now several jumps away. I fought off at least 3-4 elite rebels fighting my way toward the exit. Ran out of fuel so I had to stay and kill all of them, they give 1 fuel when they die lol. Apparently someone thought ahead so I could escape from this exact situation. Had a pretty stacked ship, managed to get to the jump beacon, kill the elite ship again, jump through, and then eventually die a slow death in the next sector with a heavily damaged ship and bingo fuel.
Kenthen

Postby Kenthen » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I forgot to turn off the Artillery Beam on the Federation Cruiser while I had a boarding party fighting on the enemy ship, very close to killing everyone off. The laser beat them to it and destroyed the ship with everyone still on board.
lee99

Postby lee99 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:34 pm

I had 4 mantis teleporter team, which raped anything with a crew, I was fighting a drone in the last stand and decided for some reason to launch them, I watched them suffocate to death as I was able to only save 2 of them :( it cost me the game later on.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

It seems that most people's best dope moments involve either nodes not connecting when expected to, or teleport shenanigans.

I've killed my own boarding team more often than I care to admit. Those poor, poor bastards.

The best one, though, goes to the Rock boarding party on the ship with two Fire Bomb weapons. Hey, they're Rock, they're immune to fire damage, right? Well, yes, they are. They are not, however, immune to the detonation of the fire weapons.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
Kencyr

Postby Kencyr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:48 pm

My stupidest moment was jumping out of a plasma storm into a nebula, finding nothing in the next sector and getting up to get something to drink, and coming back to find myself dead, more than likely since I forgot to reset my power bars and my oxygen was probably off.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:10 am

I just had one.

Energy Fighter, right? I started ionizing it, I leave Autofire on because that's what you do when you have two automated reloaders and a master gunner, and I send over my two master hand-to-hand rockmen to kick butt. Now, this ship has a medbay, but I'm ionizing the medbay.

Have you seen the problem? I have.

I left the autofire on, so the Pike Beam kept raking the ship, and blew it up. With my rockmen boarders still on it.

Mother-fuck!
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
Doom Lich

Postby Doom Lich » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:20 am

I actually don't have many extremely stupid moments.

I have the standard, oh shit I just launched a missile at a ship with two crew members onboard. I actually realized this with the missle mid flight, I paused, teleported them back, but the ship went halfway through the teleport out animation. I proceeded to do this a second time in the same run.

My door systems are on fire. I should vent them. Oh crap, what was I thinking, my door systems just went and now I cant close the airlock to them. And my oxygen is offline.Commence operation spacewalk, where I lose all four crew members by suffocation in an attempt to get the oxygen back online. Brilliant! (This actually caused me to create the rule that my oxygen systems and door systems cannot both be vented at the same time. Because it happened a second time and I was shown that I didn't learn my lesson.)

Give distressed ship 4 fuel. I have no fuel left. Crap.

EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN TIME I TRY TO DO THE ZOLTAN SHIP QUEST I PICK THE WRONG OPTION AFTER REMINDING MYSELF WHAT THE CORRECT ONE IS!

That's about it.
F1R3_F1R3

Postby F1R3_F1R3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm

i opened ALL the doors and forgot as my crew members slowly died :(
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 pm

- Before I knew what hull breaches were, I teleported my boarding crew into a breached room on the enemy ship. I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late, and they died in that room.

- I keep sending people to fight giant spiders, even though it never turns out well.
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:01 pm

"Give distressed ship 4 fuel. I have no fuel left. Crap." I've done this one too many times.