No saves is not fun.

General discussion about the game.
Autoclave

No saves is not fun.

Postby Autoclave » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 am

Guys.. knock it off, this is not solitaire, nobody asked for FTL to be high failure low success gameplay. If I wanted something like this i would go and play Diablo 3 hardcore. If you think that this game can feel rewarding only when the victory is so difficult to achieve, you are wrong.

There is nothing fun in having to start all over again after dying to to a new phase of the flagship you had no idea before. There is nothing fun in going unknowingly to a beacon that has no path to the exit and ultimately traps you in rebel ship area.

I was expecting this game to be reasonably difficult, but with saves so I could learn from my mistakes and start from the point i failed. Instead i am just horribly punished. You emphasize the final objective too much instead of realizing that the real fun could be experiencing different tactics, ships and abilities to bring down enemy ships: the gameplay itself, the road, not the damn final objective.

If somebody wants to play with no saves, give them the options.. let them get achievements or whatever, but don't punish people for playing the way they would to.

I am not buying any DLC if it will not have normal save.
Yamboo

Re: No saves is not fun.

Postby Yamboo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

FTL doesn't need a quicksave, it just needs less randomness.
BananaDealer

Postby BananaDealer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

You can save your progress before exiting the game, but the game does not autosave because that would pretty much destroy the rogue-like, 'race in front of the unstoppable horde' permadeath mechanic (which is the main selling point for this game)...

But I do somewhat agree- autosaves when you enter a new sector (in my opinion, the only place to reasonably put them in this game) are a good thing, after all- the first beacon of every sector is always a no-encounter... But, of course, to keep the idea behind the game intact- wipe all saves when your ship gets blown up... Also no 'Load Save' backtracking feature. Only straight last save continuation, like it is now...

Also, if you, personally, want more time to explore each sector or devise new strategies or whatnot, there's a mod that slows the rebel wave (or can also disable it)...
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

Just backup the savefile yourself. You can find the save file location in the sticky.

There's your option of saving every step whenever you want.
You can post images in signature?
JiveMagillicudy

Postby JiveMagillicudy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 am

A save option may be ok, but honestly, I think that would make it less of an accomplishment. Granted, I hate losing constantly and it does get frustrating having to start from scratch every time, but that is just the way the genre works. I can't tell you how many old NES games drove me insane because I had to start from the beginning when I ran out of lives, but I still really enjoyed them and have fond memories of them. The same goes for Dungeons of Dredmore. I actually cared about my character because I knew he wouldn't last forever, and even though I died way more times than succeeded in that game, I have some fun stories to tell regardless.

Again, the genre that FTL sort of falls into is one that is not supposed to hold your hand, and that's just the way it is. I wouldn't be opposed to a "Perma-death/save" option, but I would probably never use it. It might give small gratification but the end result of my efforts would seem less fulfilling.
swixel

Postby swixel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 am

JiveMagillicudy wrote:Again, the genre that FTL sort of falls into is one that is not supposed to hold your hand, and that's just the way it is. I wouldn't be opposed to a "Perma-death/save" option, but I would probably never use it. It might give small gratification but the end result of my efforts would seem less fulfilling.

I guess there's probably room for a new difficulty level: "casual" (read that as you will). Could be put below easy with 25% score, autosaves, and save/load from last save on death... would appeal to the younger/casual gamers.
TheAzryte

Postby TheAzryte » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 am

It's a rouge-like. Rouge-likes don't have saves.
Personal fleet: Kestrel A & B, Engi A&B, Stealth A, Mantis A&B, Federation A&B, Slug A, Rock A, Zoltan A&B and Unidentified A.

GDM
Createx

Postby Createx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 am

Roguelikes generally don't have saves, true. Dungeons of Dredmor for example had toggeable permadeath, meaning if you wanted to you could choose to have saves before each game. Those runs are then displayed in different leaderboards. To implement that is up to the devs :)
What I'd like to see is save&continue in the mid of a battle. Later, the battles can take some time, and if you have to leave during that time - either leave the PC running or start all over again.
Autosave is good if you have a machine prone to crashing and if the saves get wiped on death, it wouldn't impact gameplay at all, but remove a lot of frustration.
Chat with fellow FTLers!
Find us on quakenet in #fasterthanlight, the unofficial channel for FTL.
TrashMan

Postby TrashMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm

The problem isn't with the hand-holding. Heck , I don't want hand-holding.

The problem is that the player has too little impact in those randoms. ZERO imput. When I send my crew to fight spiders, there is nothnig I can do to increase the chances of sucess.
Createx

Postby Createx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Nope, but if you meet specific requirements you'll get a blue option. Till then, stay away from the spiders.
Chat with fellow FTLers!
Find us on quakenet in #fasterthanlight, the unofficial channel for FTL.