Your "LOL, FTL" moments

General discussion about the game.
Bloody_Lemon

Your "LOL, FTL" moments

Postby Bloody_Lemon » Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Since FUFTL thread is getting a lot of love, I think we should appease the RNG with more positive stories.

Here's two that happened recently with me:

1) Was Running Zoltan Cruiser B and got boarded by 1 mantis somewhere in the middle of the ship. As I was very close on energy in all systems during the fight I didn't send any guys, but successfully made him run in circles because of the oxygen (venting and regaining O2 in rooms I needed him). I was at the fire giant beacon, so I wanted to get out as soon as possible and I simply jumped away with the mantis still alive. I hit the next sector and it's a fight again. Mantis is slowly dying but still not a threat. I disable most of the enemy ship (which had a teleporter), mantis is almost dead, they break through my zoltan shields with remaining weapons and the mantis gets beamed to the enemy ship!

First I was like WTF just happened? The enemy ship got a teleporter and apparently they didn't care who actually they are saving :D

2) Happened just now. I started a fresh Nisos and first beacon I run into a rebel ship with Heavy Ion + Heavy Laser I (apparently RNG heard my comments about Engi B being mediocre :D ). I was busy dodging his lasers by turning shieds on + late from work so I outright forgot to shoot any of my weapons. Timing on second Heavy Ion is very bad with HL and I get hit to the shields super hard by the HL which starts 2 fires. I quickly vent the room, send my weapon dude to fix it, remember I have weapons and fire them both! Of course they do 2 points of system damage to weapons on the enemy ship which leaves HL going (late from work, remember? :D) His next shot disables both of my weapons, but Artillery Beam is still charging. It finally hits (my weapons are down, shields are almost repaired) across all the enemy ship and they surrender. I'm playing on Hard and what I receive is 20 scrap, some fuel and an augment - Reverse Ion Field.

So the guys who almost wrecked me using Heavy Ion decide to surrender to me and also give me something to resist ion damage? Oh, FTL, you never fail to give me a good chuckle!
shadowcrust

Re: Your "LOL, FTL" moments

Postby shadowcrust » Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 pm

I just learned that the Engi Medbot Dispersal doesn't do anything when you got a Clone Bay installed...
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Thu May 08, 2014 12:14 am

One of the most recent wasn't een a battle. I jump into a distress signal and the guy wants help to get somehwere cause his navigation is screwed... Alright, I can go for that. He pays me 8 fuel. So i look at the map for where the quest is and it's literealy a jump away. So I jump there and he gives me a reactor upgrade.

Well thanks! Pleasure doing buisness. Send word to all of your friends, I'll be here all week!
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 08, 2014 1:38 am

Elhazzared wrote:One of the most recent wasn't een a battle. I jump into a distress signal and the guy wants help to get somehwere cause his navigation is screwed... Alright, I can go for that. He pays me 8 fuel. So i look at the map for where the quest is and it's literealy a jump away. So I jump there and he gives me a reactor upgrade.

Well thanks! Pleasure doing buisness. Send word to all of your friends, I'll be here all week!

Haha I love those.

"We need 2 fuel! Here's 18 drones!" "Okay."
Very next jump: "We need 3 drones! Here's 10 fuel!" "Okay..."

If only that second ship had jumped to the beacon with the first ship in it, they could have both saved a lot of fuel and drones.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Thu May 08, 2014 3:12 am

Yeah, had those too. But the most awesome part was that it happened on the 1 sector lol. a 8 fuel reward and a reactor upgrade for a jump. Yes please!

or those 8 missile, 2 fuel, 8 scrap surrenders... Which frankly I only take when I have a ship that makes use of them anyway. But when I need them. Hell yeah!
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Thu May 08, 2014 7:54 am

Good idea for a thread!

I have one that is a bit of both: Sector 1 store carries BL II, Pre-Igniter and Scrap Recovery Arm. And I can't afford to buy even one of them :lol:
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Thu May 08, 2014 8:18 am

I always go "haha!" when I encounter a Rebel Rigger with Mini Beam and Beam Drone installed - unless I fly a Stealth ship, then I go "hahohnoooo"...
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Thu May 08, 2014 12:48 pm

How about encountering an unshielded autoscout in an asteroid field and watching it get annihilated by stray asteroids before either of you can get a shot off?
stvip

Postby stvip » Thu May 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Jerjare wrote:How about encountering an unshielded autoscout in an asteroid field and watching it get annihilated by stray asteroids before either of you can get a shot off?

It always makes me wonder just how stubborn the Rebel commanders are about sending that ship type there.
"Yes, the first 341 ships blew up immediately, but we must persevere! Send more!"
lorneagle

Postby lorneagle » Thu May 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Had a similar incident as OP:

1) It was my second or third Boss attempt on Normal. I had killed all of the flagship's crew in Stage one, done reasonably well in stage 2 and jumped to a repair station 2 beacons away.
When I arrived at the repair station my way back was blocked by the advancing rebel fleet and I had to break through it to get back to Base.
So I jumped on the beacon, powered up engines to max and waited for my FTL to charge go GTFO. The rebel ship however teleported 4 guys on my ship that I took with me when I jumped out to the Base, ....where the Flagship was waiting for round 3. It immediately teleported all enemy crew on board of the flagship, healed them up and proceeded to board me...so yeah...I laughed hard at the fact that I supplied the necessary reinforcements to the rebels to blast me to pieces.

2) A Zoltan pirate with a clone bay. I had a fire bomb kit and destroyed their O2 and several other stations. Fire kept the 2 man Zoltan crew busy until the oxygen levels reached 0 and the Zoltan crew died. Their clone bay was still active though and I watched the crew members pop out of the clone bay one after the other, run to O2, start repairing but suffocating before they got the job done. I watched them try for about 2 minutes, then I went to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich, when I came back they were still at their infinite quest to fix O2 :)
I finally released their tormented souls by taking out the clone bay