Man this game is hard

General discussion about the game.
Bottles

Re: Man this game is hard

Postby Bottles » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

I haven't played on easy mode yet! Sometimes on normal I die just before the exit in Sector 1 and I've only ever got as far as Sector 5. But that's the thing I love the difficulty, it's a hectic, unforgiving trek into randomness. It's all about survival and luck.

I invest in power for my shields and reactors early because I learnt that i'm usually dying to automated rebel scouts with shit loads of weapons. Always check as much of the sector as you can early on and be mindful of if you can fight and if you can't.

Hopefully the more you play the more you'll overcome and improve. Good luck!
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:01 pm

I can get to the last stand every time in easy mode, either Im incredibly lucky or your not very good.
Ottomic

Postby Ottomic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:39 pm

I agree with the OP: this game is a bitch. So was Dwarf Fortress or The Binding of Isaac, but that doesn't mean that if you ask me for my 3 favourite games I'll probably say these three names in quick succession. I've learned a lot from playing (and dying, horribly) in this game, and I assure you, it'll get easier and easier as you pile up corpse-filled piles of scrap on your rankings. This game is a roguelike, and it's designed to screw you up, otherwise it'd compare to a flash game that you play for an hour or two and then forget about. This way, I've learned that:

- Sometimes it's better to have someone manning engines rather than shields.
- Clicking the "Autofire" button is a sure way to both run out of missiles at the worst time possible, and to always forget to deploy your drones.
- You need to account for every factor when shooting a weapon: where, why and when?
- Wandering around on the first levels is way better than making a beeline for the next system.
- You can always escape a fight.

This game always has its ridiculous difficulty spikes in both levels, mind you, and I've encountered absolute behemoths of ships from whose there was no possible escape. Not one. We're talking about pretty clearly broken situations where I didn't have the scrap, or systems, or crewmembers to face a ship that was pummeling on my systems from second 1, but then again, I'm pretty sure this ain't gonna happen this time.

Made it to the 7th sector so far. And can't wait to learn a lil' bit more tonight.
MajorCoolD

Postby MajorCoolD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Tangle seriously, if you fail at easy mode and than whine about it... I dont know what to say.
Hell the game sure IS hard but not THAT hard... I think this sure shows how the modern warfare and COD whatnot Generation of Gamers expect to win instead of realizing it is about the fun, the challange and sometimes simply the way how you go down.
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:13 pm

It's meant to be hard. For instance, on the Sector 7 exit beacon, I waited with no fuel and got killed by a pirate, from full health and weapons, with six crew, on the last beacon until the boss sector, with no fuel. It's either you die or you die slightly slower.

Which makes it fun! :D
ice

Postby ice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I've played 34 hours myself, and I've beaten the game 4 times so far. On easy. I have to admit that I'm part of this 'instant gratification' generation, and that I have gotten very frustrated at times, but I'm still loving this game almost more than any other game so far. It's incredibly fun and I've started to get towards the boss on normal now.

The only thing I'm doing right now is playing on easy, trying to unlock the mantis ship so I can use it on normal..
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?